Can this kink cause excessive engine heat?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Dumindu
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercle 4wd DX Wagon 1452CC

Can this kink cause excessive engine heat?

Post by Dumindu »

My car is a Toyota Tercel 1987 4WD 1452CC DX Wagon.

Recently I could experience a dangerous situation where engine temperature rise excessively and radiator hose ruptured.

I disassembled some parts of the engine to find the cause.

I could see the following kink in the hose which connects the engine head water channels to the engine water pump. This kink seems blocking the channel.

Can this cause the excessive heat?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Can this kink cause excessive engine heat?

Post by xirdneh »

I doubt that would cause heat. That is the hose to the heater core and there is a valve on left end that closes water flow when you turn heat off from climate control panel on dash. A kink would do same as valve.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Can this kink cause excessive engine heat?

Post by Petros »

that is correct, that only goes to the heater. It would not cause an overheat event.

you either have a leak (small ones are had to find, they only leak when they are hot and pressurized and than you only get steam, not a fluid leak), or your head gasket is compromised and you loose coolant out the exhaust as steam, until it will not have enough coolant to keep the temperature down.

could also be a plugged up radiator, usually that occures slowly over time, not all of a sudden.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)