Parts to add in Air Conditioning, and power steering

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
D Farms
My tercel:: 1983

Parts to add in Air Conditioning, and power steering

Post by D Farms »

I looked but couldnt find a list of parts to add in Air conditioning and power steering to a Tercel 4wd. Ideally id just order everything off of rock auto. any help would greatly appreciated.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Parts to add in Air Conditioning, and power steering

Post by splatterdog »

A parts car or scrapyard will be your best and in some cases your only source of parts.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

You'll pretty much need a donor vehicle to accomplish your desired task. In addition to the obvious stuff, your gonna need both engine mount brackets (that bolt on to the block.) Years ago, I added P/S to an "84 FWD wagon. Needed the pump, complete steering rack ass'y, pressure and return lines (with securing brackets), steering shaft ass'y, and afformentioned pump mounting/engine support bracket. Since I had a donor vehicle, it was no biggie. Most of this stuff isn't available from R/A. As for A/C conversion, I've never attempted that task, but my guess is it's MUCH more involved than the P/S job. Again, you're gonna need a donor vehicle.

Hope this helps- Good Luck!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have done it on a Tercel4wd. not too difficult, but there are a lot of major and minor parts that have to go along with the swap. Donor car highly recommended. Likely any model '83-'86 Tercel w/air conditioning can give you everything you need to install it in your Tercel4wd.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
D Farms

Post by D Farms »

So i found one in a yard. I pulled the internal core, the switch, and ecu, and then the high and low side hoses. the ac compressor and condenser were gone. as long as the harness is the same it should all just go in. is there anything else i should go back and grab? @Petros
D Farms

Post by D Farms »

Petros wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:43 pm I have done it on a Tercel4wd. not too difficult, but there are a lot of major and minor parts that have to go along with the swap. Donor car highly recommended. Likely any model '83-'86 Tercel w/air conditioning can give you everything you need to install it in your Tercel4wd.
so where can you even get a condenser brand new, other than toyota for like $350?
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Other Toyota condensers and compressors such as similar year Corolla etc might fit. I think in Australia anyway these were often a dealer installed kit.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
D Farms

Post by D Farms »

i found this also, lol. they list a lot of the individual parts.

https://parts.camelbacktoyota.com/parts ... ONDITIONER
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

D Farms wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:18 pm so where can you even get a condenser brand new, other than toyota for like $350?
I got nothing "new", all parts came from cars being parted out.

you will also need the heather control panel (the one with the levers), and the A/C switch mounted in the lower left corner of it. There are a few widgits (solenoids) that attach to the throttle to speed up the idle when the A/C is on so it does not stall. you will need a different alternator mount, the A/C is shared off the same bracket as alternator and the one for the a/c equipped car is different.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
D Farms

Post by D Farms »

I have attached a picture of my carburetor and one from the yard. what parts am i missing, i cant see anything different.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
D Farms

Post by D Farms »

Petros wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:39 am
D Farms wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:18 pm so where can you even get a condenser brand new, other than toyota for like $350?
I got nothing "new", all parts came from cars being parted out.

you will also need the heather control panel (the one with the levers), and the A/C switch mounted in the lower left corner of it. There are a few widgits (solenoids) that attach to the throttle to speed up the idle when the A/C is on so it does not stall. you will need a different alternator mount, the A/C is shared off the same bracket as alternator and the one for the a/c equipped car is different.
ok so i now have

*all of the hoses
*the correct compressor
*the alternator bracket that mounts the compressor
*the evaporator and housing
*the pigtail harness
*the ecu
*the switch for the A/c
*Condenser and fan with shroud

I think i might be missing the solenoids that attach to the throttle body, i posted picture of the one in yard that had ac, and a picture of mine, i'm not sure which parts are actually different though. any help on that?

I also got the steering column and power steering pump and bracket, ill probably get the rack on rock auto, and then ill just need the lines for it. I found the return line on Camelback Toyota for $26, and the pressure line at Autozone for $56.
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX, 1986 4WD SR5, 1985 4WD SR5, 1983 4WD SR5

Post by Abletobecain »

How did the a/c swap turn out?

I have an 83 DLX with a/c and 86 SR5 without. I'd like to swap the a/c over as it has less miles and is in overall better shape.

Besides your parts list in the last post, do I need to grab any of the duct work?

I'm assuming it's quite a big job...how long did it take?
1977 BMW R100S 1WD ("Brunhilda"/Summer Fun)
1983 DLX Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Charlie"/Daily Driver)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Sprocket"/Off-road-Camping)
1985 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Lucky"/Project)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Cadaver"/Parts Car)
1985 Ford F250 6.9IDI ("Franklin"/Hauler)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Ravensburger"/in a million pieces)
2006 BMW 530XI Wagon ("Inga"/Roadtripper)
1969 Mercury Montego MX Convertible ("Big Ed"/My Dad's Old Car)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Al"/for sale soon)