Can you stiffen rear suspension with little to no lift?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Can you stiffen rear suspension with little to no lift?

Post by marlinh »

I have been going through the various lift topics without success. I run 13" tires on my cars and have no interest in lifting the car but I would like to stiffen the rear suspension so I can carry heavier loads without the car sagging. Someone said the pathfinder springs don't necessarily raise the rear and some say they do. Can anyone clear this up for me? An inch or so lift would be OK. Thanks.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Can you stiffen rear suspension with little to no lift?

Post by Petros »

install air adjustable shocks. You can adjust the ride height according to the load. you can get these great little 12v air compressors to mate to your air shocks from many Mercedes, Lincolns and MPV 4x4 vans, and several others, and just connect it to a manual switch so you can adjust the ride height as you desire from the driver's seat.

ride height has several variables, you can have a soft spring with a longer compression, or a short stiff spring, give the same ride height, yet have very different behavior and performance. A longer spring cut down will be stiffer, and also could give a lower ride height.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)