Radiator explotion

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Dumindu
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercle 4wd DX Wagon 1452CC

Radiator explotion

Post by Dumindu »

My car is a Toyota Tercel 1987 4WD 1452CC DX Wagon.

My car engine gone bad and there was a white smoke emission.

Then I Fully repaired the engine including re-boring, piston, gasket, valve and valve-guide replacing and valve seat repairing. Engine was rebuild with re-installing water jackets and filling the external dents in the head. No externally visible cracks were found in the head and the block.

The white smoke is not controlled even after full engine repair.

Today serious accident happen.

I left the engine start for about 20 minutes to see what happens.

Engine temperature was very high. White smoke ex-aggregated. Finally with a huge sound Radiator exploded. Fortunately I was at my home for some work. No one was near.

Spilled water was green-brownish.

What could be the reason?

Could it be due to a clogged radiator caused a high water pressure in the engine which lead water to enter through gasket to the ignition chamber?
Or cracked engine caused the whole process?
Last edited by Dumindu on Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slimdude85
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel

Re: Radiator explotion

Post by slimdude85 »

Sounds like exhaust gasses are entering the cooling system due to a blown head gasket or cracked head, causing extreme pressure to build up in the cooling system resulting in an exploding radiator. I was working one day when that happened in the oil change bay next to me. Quite the loud noise.
Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; For the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:25-26

I have learned to kiss the wave that slams me into the Rock of Ages. -C.H. Spurgeon