Died on HWY, No Spark

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
slimdude85
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel

Re: Died on HWY, No Spark

Post by slimdude85 »

Dizzy plugged in? Coil wire attached at both ends? It’s always the most obvious, simple things that tend to trip me up.
Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; For the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:25-26

I have learned to kiss the wave that slams me into the Rock of Ages. -C.H. Spurgeon
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Distributor 180 out? I remember pulling the distributor out once and couldn't get it to start after reinstalling. I just kept pulling it out and turning it until it started up.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

I used to do it that way but it was 50/50
Now i always install with dist cap off
Then all you have to do is install so rotor is pointing northwest
Works 100% of the time
As long as #1 piston is at top of power stroke
I say that because when you line up the crank pulley mark it could be on the #1 piston power stroke or #4 piston power stroke.
In order to be sure there are several ways
One is to put a hose over #1 plug hole and blow air in. If air will not go in you have it right.
Thats because both valves are closed.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

this seems to be over complicated. I install the distributor with the cap off (no other way to do this), and position the rotor so when it is all the way pushed in (gear fully engaged), the rotor points where the #1 terminal for the #1 spark plug is located in the cap. Usually the round logo on the coil pack is about the correct place, but you have to use the distributor cap as a guide. The only difficulty is the gear has a helix and the rotor changes position as you push it down, so you have to start it in front the correct position and as you push the distributor into place, the rotor comes to the correct position.

Just "eye balling" the rotor position so it points at where the #1 spark plug wire terminal is located is always good enough to get it started.

Goes like this: engine at TDC (use mark on front pulley), #1 cylinder must be on compression stroke (both valves closed), than install the distributor (cap off) and hold the rotor so it points at about where the #1 terminal will be located. Push it in and if the rotor turns too far, pull it out and rotate it further back before you start. once you get the distributor in with the rotor pointing at the round logo on the coil, put the cap on and connect all of the wires. I leave the clamp bolt snug so I can just turn the distributor. The car will start. let it warm up and check the spark timing with a timing light. once timing is set at 10 deg BTDC, snug the clamp bolt down and you are done.

it usually takes several attempts, but once the rotor is lined up with the round logo on the coil, it always starts.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Ha, once i left a ratchet on the crank and started the car. I was lucky too, just nicking the radiator but no harm done
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

likely the connector on the distributor. When you messed with it, old stiff wire bundle get brittle and will often break the wire.

fairly easy fix, you can even run a separate wire. there are two wires in the green barrel connector on the distributor, one is 12 volts when the ignition is "on", the other is the signal wire for the tach. one is broken, and it is the tach wire because if it was the other it would not run. look on the wire diagram to find the correct color wire to the tach, and track it down from there. it is most likely right at where the wire enters the connector.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

No! not 18 ft-lbs! they are only 10 mm and go into soft aluminum. I think their value is like 6 ft-lbs, but I also have stripped the thread out even before that. I just use lock tight and snug them down by hand, stop right at "tight".

if you strip it out (Like I did) you have to over size the hole and put a coil in it. Makes it more reliable and a stronger connection. the valve cover attaches to these bolts and if you damage or strip out the threaded hole in the head the valve cover will leak all over the engine compartment.

when I had this happen to me, the engine sprayed out 3 quarts of oil in less than 80 miles. I had to rig a lashed down cover using cord and a wooden stick, to hold the cover down tight enough to get home, and keep from loosing any more oil.

you can not fake it, if the threaded hole is damaged than you will need to drill it out and put a thread insert or coil into it (most auto parts stores sell kits for this, make sure you get the correct metric size).
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

about the distributor wires, the loose one should have a cap on it, I think it is a dianostic connection, never seen it used on any tercel. the one with the two wires in the connector going to the distributor is one with the tach wire in it.

going surfing can fix a lot of problems, go surfing more often. no problems.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

you can set the spark timing by "ear". you want the most advance you can get with out ping. so on a hot day, advance the spark timing and than run up a hill at full throttle, advance it further until you find you get a lot of ping or crackle, than back it down one notch.