New Front Springs?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
cars-guy
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5

New Front Springs?

Post by cars-guy »

My 84 tercel has 220k and completely dead shocks. I'm hoping to replace at least just the front shocks tomorrow with good KYB Excel Gs. I also want to do springs seeing as this car has run on dead shocks for sometime and i don't think the springs appreciated that. Napa auto has front springs listed for a tercel but i don't know if they would work in the 4x4. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NCZ2775 ... hIndex=App

the specs are this
# Coil Spring Coils 7.74
Coil Spring Free Height 15.06"
Coil Spring I.D. 4.68"
Coil Spring Load Height 10"
Coil Spring Type 1 Tangential End; 1 Square End
Design Load 520
Spring Rate 106
UNSPSC 31161903
Wire Diameter .5"

would these work ok?
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: New Front Springs?

Post by Mattel »

They will probably fit but the 4x4 ones have more lift and are set up for the extra weight of the 4wd model. I would also definitely look at getting springs replaced at the same time. Sorry I haven't got time to give you a detailed check of your link at this stage
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
cars-guy
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5

Post by cars-guy »

I did do a search but no one has a cut and dry answer. All the threads y’all about using “Camry” springs or another spring but none of them have any years of cars anything I can really use. Plus all the links to stock springs like autozone and Napa, don’t sell them anymore because those threads were posted in some cases over 10 years ago
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the front suspension in 2wd and 4wd are identical, but the struts are about 20 mm longer on the 4wd to make it sit a bit taller. I have compared both the struts and the springs from similar 4wd and 2wd wagons, and oddly the 2wd springs were slightly more stiff than the 4wd. not what I expected, it came out of a car that was being junked and got the parts for free, I just striped off everything I thought would be useful as a spare for my 4wd.

It is not common that people replace the springs, but it does happen, so it may be that the ones I got were aftermarket. Either way, the 2wd or 4wd front springs are same dia and same length, and should be interchangeable, even if there is different weight on them. that was what I found when I actually dismantled a set of struts out of a 2wd wagon.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)