Electrical Connector Question

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
seantp
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4WD Wagon

Electrical Connector Question

Post by seantp »

Does anyone know what these wires are for? One is white with a black stripe and one is yellow with a red stripe. They are located behind the passenger side headlight and are not connected to anything.

Would this be why my radiator fan runs constantly rather than as needed? If not why would that be?

Thanks for your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Re: Electrical Connector Question

Post by BaileySims »

Given the length of the wire and my short memory believing that the temp switch has a round connector, I believe that is your issue. Don't quote me on that.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Looks like radiator connection to me for fan
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
seantp
Advanced Member

Post by seantp »

Thats what I thought it might. I'n wondering why the previous owner did this and what he wired the fan to.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

If the connector fits in the sensor in the bottom of the radiator, that is where it goes. There is no other connector shaped like that in that area, makes it fool proof.

if the thermal switch in the bottom of the radiator is bad, he may have unplugged it so it will not over heat in heavy traffic. OTOH, many who suffer overheating problems (usually starts with leaky hose, or bad thermostat, and than they need to replace the head gasket), will unplug the sensor thinking it will improve cooling to have it run all the time. that is why you need to diagnose the problem before you try and fix it.

the fan is not designed for full time running, and it does not improve cooling to have it fun all the time. above about 30 mph you will not get better cooling with the fan on (no more air can flow through the fins above that speed). typically the fan only comes on when in heavy traffic when you are hardly moving, so it only needs lower speeds, in the 10 mph range to provide enough cooling if your radiator is clean and in good condition.

Usually these sensors are very durable, so likely the sensor it good, but they do occasionally go bad. a competent mechanic or DIYer would replace it, they do not cost too much, rather than just unplug it. so I would test it to verify it is actually working, and than keep an eye out for other reasons it might overheat. flush the radiator, replace the thermostat (it should be replaced every 2-3 years with a quality t-stat, not one from a communist factory in asia), check conditions of all hoses, etc.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
seantp
Advanced Member

Post by seantp »

Thanks Petros. The thermostat and radiator are brand new. I am having my mechanic replace the sensor to see if that is the issue.