81' Weber carberator conversion question

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
stayparanoid
My tercel:: 1981 toyota tercel

81' Weber carberator conversion question

Post by stayparanoid »

I'm running a 1981 tercel 3a-c engine and I just popped off the stock carb and put on a 32/36 Weber carb. Everything went alright and it runs nicely, but I have a question about what I can do with this pipe that shoots out of what i assume is the exhaust manifold. It was hooked up to the old air filter housing. It doesn't effect how it runs but it makes the car sound like shit.

I would guess that if I just found a way to plug it off that it would just direct the pressure down the exhaust pipe right? Or maybe find a filter to muffle the sound?

What do you guys think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: 81' Weber carberator conversion question

Post by Petros »

that is part of the exhaust gas reconciliation system, (EGR). You removed that system when you installed the weber, so you do not need it. the noise is exhaust, not good to having leaking out into the engine compartment because you will be breathing exhaust funes in the car. You can cap it off, or remove metal tube from the manifold and put a threaded plug in the hole. simple solution is use 4" of rubber hose with a clamp, and put a large bolt in the other end with another clamp.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
stayparanoid
My tercel:: 1981 toyota tercel

Post by stayparanoid »

Petros wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:18 am that is part of the exhaust gas reconciliation system, (EGR). You removed that system when you installed the weber, so you do not need it. the noise is exhaust, not good to having leaking out into the engine compartment because you will be breathing exhaust funes in the car. You can cap it off, or remove metal tube from the manifold and put a threaded plug in the hole. simple solution is use 4" of rubber hose with a clamp, and put a large bolt in the other end with another clamp.
Thanks for the response. That is a good idea about the rubber hose. I know that pipe gets super hot. Do you think a coolant bypass cap with a clamp could withstand the heat?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

it uses a rubber hose in the original installation, if you still have that it would work. I doubt heater hose would last very long because each of the different hoses are formulated to the chemicals it will be exposed to, the factory hose that came on would be good for the exhaust gases as well as the temperature.

YOu can also remove what I recall is a large flare nut at the other end (where it attaches to the exh. manifold), and I think Tom used an oil drain plug to fill the hole since it would be the same size. if you do not have a spare, an auto parts store sells generic replacement oil drain plugs, take the large flair nut to the store to match the thread size.

I would soak the flair hose nut in AFT overnight (auto trans fluid is an excellent penetrating oil), before you try to remove it.

good luck
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)