83 SR5 got some problems need input

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
gnarnold
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4x4 with a tummy tuck and a nose job and now a pace maker!

Re: 83 SR5 got some problems need input

Post by gnarnold »

ARCHINSTL wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:03 am OT, but while you have the radiator out, do a vinegar cleanse!
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10496&hilit=vinegar
Tom M.
its a good thing i didnt use vinegar to flush my radiator .whatva stinky mess that would have been !
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Petros please sir I put the new gasket on and its leaking from the same pkace up in front by the no 1 spark plug checked tbe surface with a straight edge and it was good no light from any angle .im gonna post a picture of the area so maybe yiu could tell me how i screwed it up
https://imgur.com/gallery/QR9PQ6C
https://imgur.com/gallery/mpEo2Gv
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Petros this situation is straining my friendship i need your expertise as soon as possible im about ready to go spend 30 bucks on some head gasket stop leak .I dont know what else to do .
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

You have the edge of the gasket showing, it is sticking out where it should not be showing. Looks to me like the gasket was installed up side down. The oil galley hole will not line up and not only leak but also starve the head and cam of lubrication. I happen to have my own engine apart and tested the fit, it appears it is possible to install the gasket upside down, all but the oil galley holes line up, and I get the edge of the gasket hanging out right where your picture show it. It appears the head has to come off and the gasket installed properly.

Gaskets used to have a mark that indicates "this side up". But not all manufacturers do that any more. Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Thank you I I thought it looked a little weird I didn't think it was supposed to look like that. it didn't have any indication of which direction to put it in with . I just tried to match up the holes best I could and I guess that's what I got. my other thought was the educated and knowledgeable teenagers at the local O'Reilly's gave me the wrong part they have been known to do that with other parts.are there any other tips I should use or be aware of when going into this Endeavor again ? Also I fixed the earlier post and I added some stuff.I also formally withdraw my request to be promoted to the next level up as far as rank goes. And apologize for my cocky demeanor earlier. I should have known better . it's been awhile thanks again. have a great day. I'll let you how it goes when I'm done. here we go again this time with feeling. :roll:
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Would a new gasket be recommended orcan I just flip this one over
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

you can by head gaskets from rockauto for about $10, I think from autozone for about $18. I do not think it is worth it, you risk having to do it again.

OTOH, I do not see any reason to not reuse it IF you can flip over without damaging it, which may be hard to do. the silver coating is graphite, if the silver coating is peeled off it will not seal properly. if it never got hot likely it will work okay, I have reused other gaskets, if you can get it off without damage might be worth a try. I just never reused a head gasket because they usually are damaged when you scrap them off.

If you are in a pinch and can not get a replacement quickly, than it might be worth a try. do not do it if it gets damaged. And be aware you may have to redo it again soon.

To me, the risk of having to redo it is not worth the cost of a head gasket. for me, they are cheap enough I always have a spare new one in my garage, and when traveling long distance bring one with me. Most auto parts stores can get it for you next day, some even same day (call around see if you can get one by tonight).
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

gnarnold wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:53 am
ARCHINSTL wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:03 am OT, but while you have the radiator out, do a vinegar cleanse!
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10496&hilit=vinegar
Tom M.
its a good thing i didnt use vinegar to flush my radiator .whatva stinky mess that would have been !
Huh? I had no "stinky mess" when I vinegared the radiator both times and the radiator was removed, as in the link.
Ahh, do I now see that you are referencing if you had left the vinegar in while running the engine? Mebbe so.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Doing a head job twice sucks- three times is criminal. Get another head gasket!!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

I know i know .I already installed it was only on over night and it seems alright.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

must be getting fast at doing head gaskets, no better lessons learned than through experience.

do not feel so bad, I have had to do more than a few jobs over because of dumb errors. It happens to everyone. I had to pull an engine after a rebuild because of massive oil consumption. I had installed all of the rings upside down. full tear down required. darn instructions that came with the new rings were confusing, but I should have known better.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Just curious if the locating dowels in the block were missing when you put the head back on.From reading one of your earlier posts you said you had to keep readjusting the gasket while installing the head.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Yeah guide pins are there and I I matched up the pins up with the holes in the gasket and then I match the holes up with the piston holes. Yeah the first gasket add a bow to it, wasn't flat. so when I went to put it on the head but one corner kept popping off the pin
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Good news is that tbe head gasket does not seem to be leaking .
Bad news is I havent been able to start it yet. .i have gone. TDC with my finger over the spark plug hole .matched the marks line up the hole a 100 times.ive brought it to TDC with tme dizzly out lined up the protrusion with the pin and slid it back in. it just sounds like it wants to start but then nothing .i replaced traced all can lines fuel level in sight glass is normal ive gone through and completed each test. To trouble shoot this .I remember being in this position befote and I was 180 °.problem is I cant remember how to fix it
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

There are two things can can get the cam/distritor timing off: 1) the cam timing belt, and 2) the gear in the distirbutor that engages the cam and spins the distributor.

confirm the rotor in the distributor is pointing at the #1 spark plug pole in the cap when the #1 piston is at top dead center. you have to have the cap off the distirbutor to check this, and you have to have the cap off to get the distributor installed in the correct orientation. it is easy to forget to line it up when you are getting it all together.

Also, double check the cam timing when the crank is at TDC, the cam sprocket hole should line up with the center point on the front of the head.