HOW RELIABLE IS THE AC CLUTCH?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
C130
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 280K Lift and 195 75 14.

HOW RELIABLE IS THE AC CLUTCH?

Post by C130 »

Hello fellow TERk owners,
I got the car dialed in months ago and was almost forced to sell her when I found out I was being transferred. Good news is I get to Keep her, Bad news is I'm moving to florida with a Non-functional AC.
Story is:
AC was evacuated by the previous owner and fittings were left loose.
Switches function (verified by multimeter checks)
And valve to Heater Core closes as advertised.

TO START I,

Purchased:
-DRIER
-EXPANSION VALVE
-Continue to search for compressor and clutch assembly (apparently FOUR SEASONS IS THE ONLY SUPPLIER I COULD FIND WITH COMPRESSOR + CLUTCH ASSEMBLY)
I Intend to charge it with R12 I sourced from POLAR BEAR AUTO CARE in SACRAMENTO. They got my 1999 Land Cruiser blowing ICE COLD at minimal cost so I trust theyre abilities.

Questions are:
-How reliable are the AC compressor clutches?(BECAUSE ITS CHEAPER TO PURCHASE A REMAN COMPRESSOR WITHOUT)
-AMPLIFIER-how tough is it to get the AMP dialed in? Do you just run the functioning(HIGH ASPIRATION FOR THE CURRENT SITUATION)AC and manually dial it until it cuts out?(ILL CHECK THE FSM EVENTUALLY)
-Can I get away with charging the current system after an evacuation with R134? Or are all of the seals surely toast at 280K miles? I also noticed there were no rebuild kits for em. Bummer. Cheaper to gamble on that logic.
-My buddy has a 1989 camry he stuffed some cheap explosive propane in after an O-ring drier expansion valve replacement. Blows colder than I'd ever expected. Any opinions on that?
-Where do you guys rent your EVAC pumps and gauges from?

As always I appreciate the help. Between renovating my house and work I rarely have time to get on here.

Evan
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: HOW RELIABLE IS THE AC CLUTCH?

Post by Petros »

the old o-ring seals in the hose connectors are not compatible, so you have to change those out, and the valves are different (not a big deal to change).

Usually the clutch is reliable, I would think you could bench test it (see the FSM). it will not engage unless there is pressure in the system, they have a pressure switch in to it will not run if there is not refrigerant in the system (to prevent damage to the compressor).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)