Rear caliper.

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Rear caliper.

Post by BaileySims »

Just wanted to ask real quick before I go over board and start buying things I don't need. I was doing my rear brake shoes a little earlier and i wanted to bleed some of old brake fluid out of the lines and replace it with new. The rear left brake caliper did not bleed at all. Nothing whatsoever came out of it in the bleeding process. All the other sides worked as intended. What should be the first thing I look at? The car brakes fairly well and upon inspection of the old shoes, they seemed to be worn just as good as the other side. What do you guys think?
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Rear caliper.

Post by Petros »

might be crud or corrosion plugging the bleeder, I have seen that before in an old GMC van I owned. but if the brakes are not soft and mushy, there is no need to bleed it anymore. OTOH, you can bled brakes with the bleeder broken off by using the line flare nut to bleed it out. it still could allow trapped air to stay inside, but usually works okay. on a caliper you can dismount it, put a block of wood between the shoes, hold it so the flare nut is the high point in the piston chamber, and than bleed it that way.

not sure that would work with a rear wheel cylinder on rear drums, could use a small vise to hold the pistons in, but the hard line would not allow much movement to get it to the high point to allow trapped air to escape.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
mungus
My tercel:: 1987 4wd Wagon base model

Post by mungus »

This might be off topic somewhat but what is the correct type of brake fluid to use in these cars, type 3 or type 4? Mine is a 1987, and I recall having a 1985 Toyota truck that used type 4 fluid and assumed that would be correct for a 1987 Tercel. Thanks in advance for any advice.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

My '85 and 8'6 OMs state DOT 3 or SAE J1703.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Dot 4 will work just fine (has a higher temp. rating than Dot 3.)
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
atoyta
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 3 wagons now

Post by atoyta »

If the bleeder screw will actually move you can try cleaning the inside of the bleeder with a bit of welding wire or something similar & then blow it out.