Exhaust Heat Shields

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
sacwac
Top Notch Member

Post by sacwac »

Anybody ever replace the entire exhaust heat shield system?
Mine is all rusted out, and some of it is missing.

Take a look at the 2 pics:

<a href='http://mike.mounty.com/tercel1.jpg' target='_blank'>http://mike.mounty.com/tercel1.jpg</a>
<a href='http://mike.mounty.com/tercel2.jpg' target='_blank'>http://mike.mounty.com/tercel2.jpg</a>

Where can I get parts for this?
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

1st picture is your downpipe that is supposed to be doublewalled. The one on my car is a small diameter regular exhaust pipe that has a larger diameter exhaust pipe sort of swaged onto it to create the doublewall. What you have might be OEM? You've lost the bottom part where it comes down from the manifold?

2nd one is the converter...looks a lot like mine, except I still have some shield on the top. I have mine wired on there.

I have the all parts to redo my exhaust...just need to cut out, form and weld some shields onto the converter.

IMO, you probably need to wire that hanging shield up and start looking for new exhaust parts. I have a list of what I'm using in the post I did on replacing the exhaust & over in the writeups area have some exhaust info. The generic convertor I have comes with about 1/2 of a shield and it isn't much...has good flow though.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

sacwac
Top Notch Member

Post by sacwac »

The 1st picture is actually the pipe as it comes from the catalytic converter, on it's way to the muffler. If you follow the brown color of the pipe, from right to left, there is a black spot... The pipe is actually split right here, making the exhaust VERY loud.

I think the whole exhaust system is OEM. Also, I couldn't take a pic of the front downpipe, but it's competely lacking the heatshield.

So, looking online for shields, there are shields that look like flex pipes, but cut in half. There are also things you can wrap onto the pipe.

You are 100% correct, I need to get new pipes.

Thanks for the info!
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

I would: 1.Price a new exaust(Web.) including Converter. 2.Price a fabricated 2" system. 3.Check for exaust systems(in good shape) at the Junk-Yard,and if you dont know if there are good Tercel-Parts cars there,You are WAAAY behind the Game! Alan. San Diego :)
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

sacwac wrote:The 1st picture is actually the pipe as it comes from the catalytic converter, on it's way to the muffler. If you follow the brown color of the pipe, from right to left, there is a black spot... The pipe is actually split right here, making the exhaust VERY loud.

I think the whole exhaust system is OEM. Also, I couldn't take a pic of the front downpipe, but it's competely lacking the heatshield.

So, looking online for shields, there are shields that look like flex pipes, but cut in half. There are also things you can wrap onto the pipe.

You are 100% correct, I need to get new pipes.

Thanks for the info!
The thing about exhausts is that they usually start to go bad from the back to the front (moisture). Last summer my muffler fell off, so I bought a glasspack and used some ss flexpipe to put it on the back & repaired a small hole on the downpipe...& made it thru the winter. :blink:

Now I have 3 repaired holes plus the newer muffler and am bowing to the inevitable...a new system. Taint cheap.

I'm also trying to improve the system from my perspective (knowing I will have the car offroad) and save some $ in the process.

The method I use for holes and gaps like you have there is to buy a container of furnace cement (hardware store) and use some scrap sheetmetal (even tin cans work) and some hose clamps or even better, exhaust clamps. Smear the cement on the pipes where the break is and shape the metal into an overlapping cylinder...use the clamps each end to hold it. Might make that noise go away. Works for awhile.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

sacwac wrote:I think the whole exhaust system is OEM. Also, I couldn't take a pic of the front downpipe, but it's competely lacking the heatshield.
The OEM exhaust must have larger pipes than some aftermarket systems.

BOTH the the downpipe on my car and the new downpipe I bought (least expensive I could find of course) have small diameter inside pipes (the one under the heatshield).

The OEM looks like it even has a heatshield AFTER the converter?

<span style='color:blue'>Sacwac...could you carefully measure the OD of the downpipe on your car and post it?</span>

I'd like to compare vs the two I have now.

sacwac
Top Notch Member

Post by sacwac »

Takza,

I have carefully measured the OD of my down pipe (from a 1987 SR5) with a vernier caliper. I measured 1.435 inches. That's 36.45mm.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Checked my new downpipe and the inner pipe is 1.506" OD. The other old one might have a slightly larger diameter.

So I guess that I don't have a downsized pipe. I'm good to go........ :blink: :lol:

Hey babes...here I come...so to speak. B)

I went with the least expensive downpipe and convertor because I'm cheap & this part of the exhaust lasts the longest anyway. Looks like the downpipe I have is OK.

The generic converter seems to be plenty open for a 1.5L engine (probably good for up to 3.0L?), but needs to have heatshields added. Figured out how to do it...just haven't done it.

<span style='color:blue'>Thanks for the info! </span>