Toyota tercel sr5 3 door transmission needs help

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
tommynguyen
My tercel:: sr5 1982

Toyota tercel sr5 3 door transmission needs help

Post by tommynguyen »

Dear everyone,
I come from Vietnam, I have an sr5 3 door 1982 and my transmission were broken some shafts. I can't find any gearbox for my car in Vietnam. The longitude 3A engine and FWD is really rare in VN for now.

My question is: the Aisin Z51 gearbox for my Tercel can find in any car model? Can I use the part from them to my gearbox? any replacement for my gearbox? Can I convert from FWD to RWD in case can't find part or gearbox?

Thank alot,

Tom
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Toyota tercel sr5 3 door transmission needs help

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum!

i think any fwd Tercel trans from about 1980 through 1986 can be made to work, 4 speed, 5 speed or automatic. the 4wd trans can likely be made to work too, but that would be a shame, better keep it in the 4wd Tercel and fix that one to make it into a daily driver.

The trans configuration in the early first and second generation tercels is unique and will not work in any other model, so you have to find any version of a tercel trans from those years.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
tommynguyen
My tercel:: sr5 1982

Post by tommynguyen »

So you mean I need to find the tercel' gearbox 80-86 then ok? Then I will to find. Tks alot.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

yes, there are 4 speed, and 5 speed front drive transmissions, automatics that all came with the first and second generation Tercel. All have slight differences in how they mount, but you should be able to adapt them with either minor mods or with the mounting hardware from the vehicle you got it out of, or by swapping over your mounting hardware in your car.

There is also of course the 4wd trans, if that is all you can find, it can be made to work in your car. It is almost the same but with the rear transfer case that goes to the rear axle. you likely can have a transmission shop swap out the rear housing and main shaft from your old trans, to replace the transfer case. You can also just leave the transfer case in place, but you need plug the rear drive shaft out put by getting the front end of the rear drive shaft, cut it off and just use it as a plug. This will keep the gear oil from leaking out the rear output opening.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)