New clutch - pull engine or transmission?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Re: New clutch - pull engine or transmission?

Post by marlinh »

Did you get the flywheel machined? If the pressure plate was fried, the pressure plate probably had hot spots in it too.
spencercat
Advanced Member
My tercel:: '84 SR5

Post by spencercat »

@marlinh - sorry for the late reply, but I've been working on my other rides. I didn't get the flywheel machined, it didn't look fried/warped/beat up. Scrubbed it with a scrubber pad, cleaned it with brake clean then acetone, and it looked fine.
spencercat
Advanced Member

Post by spencercat »

Following up re the transmission fluid and whining. Gearshifts began to be a bit harder, and the whining was increasing. Today I checked the fluid level, found it flowing out of the full hole. But when I drained it, I only had 3.2 quarts in the tranny. :shock:

After taking an hour and a half to fill it up (with some lucas oil for good luck) to 4.1 quarts 80W90 it seems happier.

Lesson learned - don't trust the fact that gear oil runs out of the fill hole if there are other indicators that the level may be low.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

I have found that a rest is needed while filling tranny.
I pump till oil overflows then wait about 20 minutes and pump again till it overflows. It takes about 5 cycles to get it full.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
spencercat
Advanced Member

Post by spencercat »

I have found that a rest is needed while filling tranny.
It did take about 2 hours to fill, with a quart-size graduated funnel and a long tube to the front most fill hole. I ended up getting frustrated that the last 1/4 quart wouldn't stay in, so I dropped the rear of the car off the jackstands and put the rest in. ;)

@abracadaver - I hear you about an oily belt and the PITA to get at it. It's on my list, believe me! Parts are here, it just needs to wait its turn.
Hari
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota tercel 4wd, lifted 14" tires

Post by Hari »

83s and 84s have more trouble pulling and installing he tranny. Clearance issue with the firewall. Better on the 85 and later. Buy a couple of bolts with the same thread as the main engine mounting bolts but at least 2 inches longer. When you are getting lined up screw them
Into the two bottom mounts on the engine. They help line things up as the engine/tranny mate up. I'd pull the engine on an 83 or 84.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that might be helpful, but the trouble is really getting it to line up at all.

you DO NOT btw, want to "pull" the engine to the trans by tightening those longer bolts. if something is not aligned you can cause severe damage to the trans. I have seen it happen where the trans case was badly damaged because someone could not get the engine and trans to mate because the spline was not aligned, he had used the bolts to suck up the gap to "force" it together. The main shaft pushed it way out the back of the transmission case (it was not on a Tercel).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Installing tranny with input shaft removed helps too
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Petros wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:28 am that might be helpful, but the trouble is really getting it to line up at all.

you DO NOT btw, want to "pull" the engine to the trans by tightening those longer bolts. if something is not aligned you can cause severe damage to the trans. I have seen it happen where the trans case was badly damaged because someone could not get the engine and trans to mate because the spline was not aligned, he had used the bolts to suck up the gap to "force" it together. The main shaft pushed it way out the back of the transmission case (it was not on a Tercel).

It's not called a bell housing just over shape. A coworker once used the bolts to suck it up and the GONGGGG of the newly cracked housing was loud and clear over all other shop noises.