Transmission Noise

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Transmission Noise

Post by SirFoxx »

It seems like 90% of my posts here are transmission related...Anywho, I am coming here to get advice about an odd noise that is coming from my transmission. Ever since I got the car, its made the noise, hasn't gotten worse, no issues with driveability aside the ones that were there before.

Sometimes when I am slowing down, I'll downshift and use the engine as a brake. When I get to second gear, its making a noise that kinda resembles a caged bearing with loose bearings that is vibrating. Very hard noise to describe. The only other thing that kinda sounds like that are those neodymium eggs that when they touch, they vibrate together till they stop. Except the transmission noise is like the eggs constantly vibrating.

The noise is transmission rpm related. As in, when I press the clutch in and pull it into second, the noise appears. 4th gear also does it, but not to the same extent.

Not sure if this is related to my issue, but the previous issues that the transmission has are: 1st gear syncro is bad (can't shift into 1st over 5mph--acts like there is no gear there) and 3rd crunches a bit when shifting into it (syncro?).

As the ever impending 7ag + tbi swap nears, I'd like to sort the transmission out to make sure it's in good shape before putting a hefty motor in the car.

Here is a video of the sound. Don't mind the motor ticking as I accelerate--its a manifold exhaust leak that I don't feel like fixing.
(https://youtu.be/jrulKqC6FS8?t=17s)
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Transmission Noise

Post by xirdneh »

if you plan to use that tranny you will have to take it apart to find out whats going on in there
hopefully it will not self destruct before then
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Re: Transmission Noise

Post by SirFoxx »

xirdneh wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:44 pm if you plan to use that tranny you will have to take it apart to find out whats going on in there
hopefully it will not self destruct before then
If someone where to ask you to rebuild their tranny, how would you go about doing that?
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5