Bushing or not

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
solarlord
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 4wd Swiss model

Bushing or not

Post by solarlord »

HI- in an earlier posting it is mentioned that a clunk when you accelerate can be caused by worn bushings-what i want to know is where are these bushings? can any body help? thanks and long time no see to everybody-DEREK
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Bushing or not

Post by xirdneh »

probably the sway bar bushings. sway bar is a "U" shape bar about 1 inch in diameter under front of car. two bushings in front attaching it to frame. the two aft ends attach to the control arms on left and right side with a set of bushings on each. the front bushings usually do not go bad. the aft end bushings do go bad. they will clunk whenever you hit a bump or drive a bumpy dirt road.
the control arm can make noise too where it is attached to frame. the hole in the sheetmetal gets enlarged where the bolt is or the metal sleeve in its bushing can be broken. the front struts can make noise too when they go bad or the attachment points are messed up. also check the inner tie rod ends by jacking up front tire and pushing front of tire in and out, it will clunk if tie rod is bad.
bad axle can clunk on accelleration too
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
solarlord
Top Notch Member

Post by solarlord »

X- thanks -sway bar aft ends,control arm bushing and tie rod ends(are the tie rod ends the same on all tercs or are 4wd different) i get all my bits from rockauto- thanks again DEREK
solarlord
Top Notch Member

Post by solarlord »

Does anybody know what rockauto calls a sway bar? thanks
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

maybe a stableizer
i have ordered quite a few tie rod ends from rockauto
i have never gotten one that i could not use
i think the thread length is different between power and manual steering but they will still work
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Inners are all the same- outers are different between manual and power steering. Also, right and left outers are different.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

Rock auto does not have the sway bar end link bushings. I had to get mine from a dealer. For the 4 rubber pieces, 4 washers, and the 2 inner metal shafts was around $120. Ridiculous in my opinion.

Also, depending on the state of your sway bar, you may have to get creative on removing it. My '88 came off no problem, but my '85....Lets just say it involved a large ratchet strap, large tree, and me driving in reverse. First and last time I ever want to do that....
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

SirFoxx wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:32 am Rock auto does not have the sway bar end link bushings. I had to get mine from a dealer. For the 4 rubber pieces, 4 washers, and the 2 inner metal shafts was around $120. Ridiculous in my opinion.

Also, depending on the state of your sway bar, you may have to get creative on removing it. My '88 came off no problem, but my '85....Lets just say it involved a large ratchet strap, large tree, and me driving in reverse. First and last time I ever want to do that....
1. Did you see the listing in the Parts Forum?
2. A tree and driving in reverse to remove the sway bar ? ? ? I and several others used only the ratchet strap ...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

ARCHINSTL wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:53 am Also, depending on the state of your sway bar, you may have to get creative on removing it. My '88 came off no problem, but my '85....Lets just say it involved a large ratchet strap, large tree, and me driving in reverse. First and last time I ever want to do that....
1. Did you see the listing in the Parts Forum?
2. A tree and driving in reverse to remove the sway bar ? ? ? I and several others used only the ratchet strap ...
Tom M.
I may have ordered them just before finding the post awhile ago. I blame myself for not looking as well as I should have.

As for the tree and the ratchet strap--I was using a strap that you'd find on a semi trailer, and had my parking brake on, along with it in reverse. When I got near the point of me not being able to ratchet it anymore, I noticed that I was literally dragging the car on the ground. I would have hammered on the end of the sway bar, but I didn't want to peen the threaded side over since I don't have a soft metal sledge.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
solarlord
Top Notch Member

Post by solarlord »

Wow -this sounds fun will an olive tree be any good or has it got be a special tree. ok kidding apart the sway bar bushings can be found on the parts forum(will look in a bit)
Another question what does the tie bar(track rod) end look like on the terc 4x4?? there seems to be a a number of different types for a tercel 87- -im saying this because my terc is in spain and im in england ,i will going out to spain in march with all bits to fix it-- D
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Post by Jarf »

solarlord - you may have better luck searching for the correct parts by pretending your car is an '86
'87 was the first year for the 2nd Gen Terc in Non-wagon form, it has a cross mounted engine and is a completely different beast.
Very few changes occurred for the 87/88 wagons so the 86 listings should work out just fine.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Actually, our cars are Gen 2- transverse Tercels were Gen 3. I always look up stuff for an '85.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
solarlord
Top Notch Member

Post by solarlord »

HI-where is the Parts forum?? thanks
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

solarlord wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:39 am Wow -this sounds fun will an olive tree be any good or has it got be a special tree. ok kidding apart the sway bar bushings can be found on the parts forum(will look in a bit)
Another question what does the tie bar(track rod) end look like on the terc 4x4?? there seems to be a a number of different types for a tercel 87- -im saying this because my terc is in spain and im in england ,i will going out to spain in march with all bits to fix it-- D
Hi Lord of Solar

Have you tried these French guys yet? They had a big club of Tercel drivers about a decade ago and still have this site. Perhaps they could point you towards some local parts? http://www.team-go-on.com/t246-toyota-tercel-tercel-4wd
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms