What are the resistance values of the Ignition Coil ?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Dumindu
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercle 4wd DX Wagon 1452CC

What are the resistance values of the Ignition Coil ?

Post by Dumindu »

My car is a Toyota Tercel 1987 4WD 1452CC DX Wagon (AL25RG-ZWFDS).

My car is having a sudden stop sometimes. When this happens engine cannot be started for 10 min. to 1 hour time. Then automatically it get corrected and engine can be started. When this happens, I checked the spark plug wires and the secondary output wire of the coil with a external spark wire tester. There is no current flow in all above wires.

So faulty may at the Ignition Coil. So I need to test the Ignition coil.

I don't have the service manual for my car.

If someone who is having a car of this model, please can tell me the Primary and Secondary resistance values of the Ignition Coil ?

If someone is having a other option please advice me.

Thanks.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: What are the resistance values of the Ignition Coil ?

Post by Petros »

the factory service manual is available for free down load on this site, here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3721

this is for the north American domestic market version, you may have a different distributor and coil combo if you are not in North America. Though I would think the coil resistance values would be similar. but by the behavior it may be the ignitor in the distributor that is cutting out after it is hot, and comes back after it cools. So apply the check out procedure for that as well when done looking at the coil.

Where are you located?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

Re: What are the resistance values of the Ignition Coil ?

Post by garyfish »

If you're pretty sure that the problem is in the distributor, it might be best to just install an entire 'new' distributor...

There is a recent thread on this Forum that announced the availability of very inexpensive remanufactured distributors that fit the 1983-88 Tercel wagons with a 3A or 3AC engine... the thread also contains info on the pros and cons of using a remanufactured unit vs. an original equipment distributor.

Here's the link to the thread, which includes the link to the eBay auction that has the remanned units for $24.99 and free shipping within the US. It's not clear from the auction description if the seller will ship internationally, and if so, how much that might cost.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13025

Good luck with your issues.
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016