Strange Noise

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Sometimes when I start my car and its idleing(750-800 RPM) I will here a tinny-clicking noise about the same sound-freqency and volume as snaping your fingers.It happens about once a second but skips a beat and isnt consistant.I listend to the valve area with a screwdriver and I herd was the diligent ticking of my rockers.I thought at first it was my power-steering pump because the pully has a slight wobble and end-play but I disconected it today and no differance.I dont think its internal or serious,just annoying when I here it! ;)
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

hmm, maybe the engine is pinging?
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Heat shield or something around the exhaust rattling? Try using a wooden hammer handle to press on the metal down there to see if it stops. Watch those belts!
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Thanks Ice,the "pinging" sound made by pre-ignition(Due to Carbon-deposots or advanced timeing) is a distinctive,consentrated sound.This sound "reverbs" alittle and is inconsistant,like a loose-conection,and it dosent eminate from one point(common for that type of sound),so its hard to track.Its more-likely,like Takza said,to be a flange of some sort,so Ill check-that-out.Thanks Guys. :unsure:
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Hey,someday we'll be able to digitaly record our engine noise,send-it through cyberspace to a sound-lab,then the'll use a sound-analasis program(frequency-duration,ect.) that is specific to your engine and tell you how-well your engine is working.Someday... :P
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Some friends were playing music at the Huntington-Beach Pier today so I decided to drive-up,and before I went I checked my valve~setting to exclude them as a possible sorce of that ticking-noise.The drive(75mi)was great.My cooling system and air cond. worked-well as the air-temp must have been at least 95%.I averaged about 72mph and at one point I pegged the speedometer at 140kph/87mph@37,000-RPM just for fun.I wont even get into how many beutiful Bikini-clad women there were at the beach! :D Im glad I checked my valves because one exaust-v was tight and one intake was loose so going back for a second check is quick and easy and well worth it.Ive decided not to use sealant on the valve-cover,its messy and my fram-double Lipped gasket realy dosent need it.Also I dont recomend Lucas oil treatment unless you realy need to(it dose work)because this-Sh%t-is-S.T.I.C.K.Y!!! Every time you get some on you it wont wipe-off like normal oil and then it gets on your tools. :( Its been many a dark,Quiet night when you can here throughout my neiborhood,the embittered,Lonely cry of... LUUUUUUUUUUUUCAAAAAAAAASSS!!!!! :blink:
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Thereminator wrote: and at one point I pegged the speedometer at 140kph/87mph@37,000-RPM just for fun.
Musta got one of those balanced and blueprinted engines??????

I'd keep those RPMs down a little! :)

Still have to do my valves........
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Ill try to keep it down to about 15,0000 RPM.Hey the valve adj. is a 45 min,walk-in-the-park.I just make shure I have an easy way to turn the motor too TDC-Twice.I use a half-inch Drive 19mil socket wrench with a hollow broom-handle as an extention and I leave the plugs in(Helps if you take it out of gear!).If you leave the ignition on when you turn the motor,make shur a loved-one is neer with a camera and cell-phone.I usualy do the like settings together to save time. :)