What happens when the water outlet is left opened

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Dumindu
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercle 4wd DX Wagon 1452CC

What happens when the water outlet is left opened

Post by Dumindu »

I have noticed that the water outlet of the cooling system (I am not sure whether is that the water outlet) is left opened in my Toyota Tercel 1987 4WD 1452CC DX Wagon car. It was done by a mechanic.

Is it a critical issue?
Photo0174-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: What happens when the water outlet is left opened

Post by xirdneh »

Does coolant come out of there?
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

Yes. This is the site coolent come out from the engine.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Damindu,

Here is a picture of a stock 3a engine. It appears there should be a temp sensor of some type there, also, I notice in your picture the TVSV (with all the vacuum hoses) is missing as well. If they have replaced the TVSV location with a sensor and you don't need one where the water is coming out, just install a pipe plug.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

In his picture, the water temp sensor is there, no? Just looked at mine and I have nothing in the hole he is showing. Unless whoever he took it to put some kind of bolt in there and broke it, it's just a dead hole that shouldn't be leaking anything.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

BaileySims wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:59 am In his picture, the water temp sensor is there, no? Just looked at mine and I have nothing in the hole he is showing. Unless whoever he took it to put some kind of bolt in there and broke it, it's just a dead hole that shouldn't be leaking anything.
Bailey looked more closely than I did. If you are getting water from that location, I would simply install a plug, though I do wonder what has changed to allow water there in the first place?

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the gauge sensor is below that hole. that is an unused mount, if it leaks coolant plug it. but it should not have coolant coming out unless someone drilled it out, or over-tightened a bolt into the bottom of that hole and cracked the casting to allow it to leak out.

When you ask "what happens", if you lost enough coolant while it was running it may have overheated. if that is the case, you will almost certainly need to replace the head gasket. This engine will not tolerate being overheated, the head gasket is very sensitive to it getting too hot. it is about a 4 hour job to replace the head gasket (if you have done it before), not that bad but it should be done properly or the replacement gasket will also fail.

often you will not notice that the head gasket is leaking, it may take several weeks or a month for it become noticeable. So keep and eye on your coolant consumption. if it goes up a little each week, likley the head gasket is partially failed, but still running okay. that will almost always still fail bad enough not to run, it is just a matter of time.

if you have no coolant loss over the next three weeks, than likely it is okay.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

Thank you all for your valuable answers.

Mr. Petros, I have a personal question to ask from you. What is mounted on your car?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that mount is not used in any tercel4wd, or first or 2nd generation Tercel. The 3a and 4a engine is used in other vehicles, including things like fork lifts, conveyor belts and any number of non-automotive applications. Likely that was just a "extra" mount to allow the engine to be used in other applications. There are lots of places on the head and block like that, unused mounts. But likely used in other applications. I think when they used this engine in a transvers front wheel drive vehicle the "front" engine mount went there.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)