Which front axle shafts/CV joints (preferably in Europe)?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
FRQ

Which front axle shafts/CV joints (preferably in Europe)?

Post by FRQ »

I've been doing quite a bit of searching on this forum and came up with these recommended brands:

empi 80-6138 / 80-6137
gsp NCV69006 / NCV69005

I'm in Europe and having quite a bit of trouble finding complete, new shafts using the Toyota EPC numbers.

So far i've only managed to find individual CV joints (hub side/diff side) of different brands and with spotty availability. Since I've read there are quite a few of brands that are total garbage, I'd like to do it right the first time.

Any European members here that can shed some light on this or US members that know a place where I can order GSP or EMPI that ships internationally?

EDIT: as of yet, the best I've found, SurTrack:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Tercel- ... 2115555357

These seem to be new Chinese axles, not reman and are 175 shipped including import charges (eBay Global Shipping Program). ECS Tuning has the GSPs for 100USD + 160USD shipping + some undetermined import duty, so at least 300USD at my door.

Anyone have experience with SurTrack here? I've read several forum posts (mostly from VW guys) stating they're EMPI rebrands.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Which front axle shafts/CV joints (preferably in Europe)?

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I've had GSP in for 10 years and 20K miles (I do not drive much any more, being retired and have another vehicle). No weird noises since then.
I did have an episode with DS leak (I'd installed new seals, which should be done!), but discovered I'd not inserted the axle far enough; it was resolved by reinstalling and no leaks since. I am presuming current production is at least as good.
Others have reported good results with EMPI.
Contact GSP directly:
USA office is http://www.gspnorthamerica.com/
European office is http://www.gsp-europe.com/en/
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
FRQ

Post by FRQ »

@ARCHINSTL: I actually found that site, hoping for a list of distributors, no such luck. I might contact them if I can't come up with a regular supplier. Who would've thought I'd have more trouble sourcing parts for an econobox Toyota than one of my 60's Alfa Romeos. :lol:
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the new EMPI are made in China, we can get them here for about $60 USD. I have used them for about ten years, and have had the joints fail at short intervals. Normally I would expect about 80 to 100,000 miles from a CV joint, and twice EMPI cv joints gave up at about 20,000. Most last much longer, but they are not as good as the GSP, and they are cheap.

For the price you have to pay, I would not consider that a very good reliability. I would consider rebuilding your axles rather than replacement if you can not get a better price.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Ahhh - I did not know that about the "new" EMPI! I just recall comments back around 2007 when I went with the GSP - from Rock Auto.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
FRQ

Post by FRQ »

I'm pretty sure mine are beyond rebuilding, they're ticking very loudly under load in corners and the previous owner has been driving that way for quite a while. Besides, I suspect sourcing rebuild parts will be equally challenging.

I'm going to give GSP a call tomorrow, if that turns into a hassle I'll just get a set of SurTracks to hold me over.
FRQ

Post by FRQ »

Called GSP, they don't stock CV shafts for older vehicles here in Europe. They forwarded me to a few of their biggest distributors, but I couldn't find the parts on their website.

I ordered a set of SurTrack axles for now, came to 170€ including import charges, which seemed reasonable. Chinese made, non reman, according to reports the same as the Chinese production EMPI.

Worst case scenario, they should keep me on the road for at least 10000km, I'll just make sure I find a way to obtain a good set in the meantime to gather dust on the spare parts shelf.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Wow on the cost! From which vendor did you order these?
I just checked Rock Auto's site for those same axles and together they were USD80.58 which translates to 66.84€ (not including shipping).
Rock Auto's current discount to Club members is 5% Discount Code: 26F347A9A45305 Expires: March 25, 2018, which would lower the cost to 63.50€
Your 170€ is the equivalent of USD205!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
FRQ

Post by FRQ »

@ARCHINSTL: Got them off eBay, $115 for the set, so not too far off Rock Auto MSRP, the rest is international shipping and import duties. Truth be told, even if I could get them in Europe, I don't think the price would have been much lower. Just too bad I couldn't get GSP axles(well, I could, for about $350...), but that's a problem for at the very least 10000 miles from now