First gear slam out and transmission vibrations 84 4wd

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
moofasa84
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 Tactical Tan

First gear slam out and transmission vibrations 84 4wd

Post by moofasa84 »

Hopping I can get some advice here. I live on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington and have been driving my 84 4wd Tercel almost daily for about 3 years. Over this time I have slowly noticed a worsening and now major vibration coming from my front end when I drive on the highway. When this happens I notice that my 4wd stick and shifter are also shaking pretty bad. Another problem I am having with my transmission is my first gear will pop out and sometimes slam out pretty hard when I take out my clutch and put pressure on the gear. Any advice or similar problems?
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: First gear slam out and transmission vibrations 84 4wd

Post by xirdneh »

If its the tranny and you keep driving it the tranny will probably not be fixable.
Popping out of first most likely caused by bad front bearing on output shaft.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

bad engine mounts can cause a vibration.

popping out of gear usually means worn main shaft bearings as Xirdneh points out. you might try a trans flush, drain the old gear oil, install 50/50 cheap gear oil and ATF (that is automatic trans fluid, the pink stuff). Drive it lightly for a few days, get it good and warm at fwy speeds (be gentle), than drain it all while it is warm. than fill up with new quality gear lube. make sure both times you get 4.1 quarts into the trans (tends to go slow into the filler plug).

Carefully inspect the oil you drained out of for metal shavings, a flash light helps.

Sometimes it helps to flush out debris and glaze out of the gear box. If that does not work than likely it has to come apart to have the main shaft bearing replaced.

good luck
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
moofasa84
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 Tactical Tan

Post by moofasa84 »

Thanks for the reply! I was able to meet with Xirdneh (Thank you very much for your time). I'm doing a flush right now and putting fresh gear oil in today. If this doesn't help my problem I will go ahead and replace the tranny so it can be repaired.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Dunno if this will be much of a fix, but - try replacing the two engine mountings and the trans mounting.
While I did not have your probs, replacing all three of the mounts DID have an affect.
My clutch and trans are OE, now at 196K. I DO some slipping at hill starts while naturally using the handbrake.
https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic. ... lit=mounts
https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic. ... lit=mounts
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain