Aftermarket Steering wheel adapter question

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
YakSr5
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 lifted

Aftermarket Steering wheel adapter question

Post by YakSr5 »

Hello all, i have a 85 Tercel, and i want to swap the steering wheel out for something sportier. I did a search, but couldnt find the answer i was looking for.

I am looking to swap steering wheels, and need an adapter to get it done. I am wondering if the adapter for the ae86 corolla Mr2 or a pickup the same for the tercel? cant seem to find an application specific steering wheel adapter. Any help would be most appreciated.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Aftermarket Steering wheel adapter question

Post by Petros »

I have swaped in MR2 and Corolla steering wheels into the Tercel 4wd, the spline hub is all the same.

there is a slight difference on where the indicator light "off" trigger is located, but the splines are all the same. I have been told that all Toyota steering wheel spline shafts are the same, but I can not verify that. I am running an all leather Corolla GTS steering wheel from an '88 in my 84 Tercel4wd. the center hub is black plastic with a "Toyota" logo on it, but spline shaft fit fine. I had to relocated the indicator light trigger (it turns off the signal after you make the turn). I do not care for the stock Tercel steering wheel at all, although the later '87-88 (MR-2 style) is much improved, the Canadian Tercel steering wheels are nice as well.

If you look for another Toyota steering wheel you like you will not need an adapter. the Leather GTS steering wheel is much more attractive, and it feels good in the hand.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
YakSr5
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 lifted

Re: Aftermarket Steering wheel adapter question

Post by YakSr5 »

Thank you so much for the advice. appreciate it. Ill post pics when i find one i like to swap