Exhaust intermediate pipe

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
kitchman
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 2wd tercel hatch back ,1986 SR5

Exhaust intermediate pipe

Post by kitchman »

Happy holiday?
unfortunately the Walker replacement pipe has been discontinued and looking for a alternative to being at the mercy of the local muffler shop, who has stated it will take a while and the car need be left there for a few days. Has anyone successfully used flexible pipe as a alternative to having regular tubing bent? Also, perhaps some knows who has some old stock of the walker or bosal pipe?
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Exhaust intermediate pipe

Post by xirdneh »

assuming you are refering to pipe from cat to muffler that goes up and over rear axle
i use the 1-3/4" diameter 90 degree elbows ya get at o'reillys and cut and weld to suit.
i made a wooden jig using old pipe as template.
that holds everything in place for welding
i cut off old flange and reuse it
i think i posted pictures on here or maybe i made a video for youtube
they also sell less than $40 mufflers
and have various size adapters
i usually use clamps to connect muffler to intermediate pipe
and 1/4 steel rod for hangers if i cannot use old ones. heating the rod red hot at bend spot makes it easy to shape

ps if you cant weld consider this
"anybody can weld if they have a angle grinder"
thats what my welder friend tells me.
i use a cheap stick welder AKA "buzz box" with 5/64" rod and a lot of grinding with that angle grinder
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

find another muffler shop, it does not sound like the guy wants to do the job. There should be no parts to order, everything can be fabbed in a normal muffler shop.

there is one within walking distance to my office that I have used. I made the appointment ahead, drop it in the morning, typically it is ready by noon. He has done repairs while I wait, and rebuilt my whole system (when if finally fell apart) in less than one day, bending (in his hydraulic pipe bender) straight pipe into shape to fit.

You also might look around for someone who does welding out of his home shop as a side line business, pay in cash.

I have known of people that built up new exhaust systems using standard bends, slip fit joints with clamps. And I have seen people use those flex pips with it too. But I do not think it hold up as well as a good welded system. Often the joints work loose, or get corrodes faster because of corrosive deposits at the joints. I do not think you would save much anyway, because you have a lot of pre-fabbed parts and extra clamps to purchase.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

three elbows, some strt pipe, a few change of size pipe adapters, and 1 clamp, 24 inches of 1/4 stl rod, plus a few welding rods
gets me from cat to muffler
all welded except clamp at muffler inlet
about $35-45
for 10 more i can weld tailpipe and hanger to exit end of muffler
kitchman
Top Notch Member

Post by kitchman »

Thanks for the replies!
Did some research of my own, including several mails/conversations with Walker/Tenneco. The original Toyota intermediate pipe as on my Tercel has a bolted on heat shield. The Walker 46691 pipe was said to be fabricated from air-gap type (pipe with in a pipe) tube to provide similar heat insulation to the vehicle's floor boards. Walker informed me that a typical shop would not be able to bend this type of pipe. The Walker 46691 has been discontinued. I was fortunate to find one, perhaps the last one. If a pipe is home made or by a shop it would be a good idea to incorporate some type of heat shielding as was the case in the OEM set up.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

almost all replacements i have seen are not insulated
i do not bother with it when making my own stuff
kitchman
Top Notch Member

Post by kitchman »

Thanks for all the replies!
Not to beat this subject to death (love that expression), but just curious why some have stated that the Walker 46691 pipe has to be shortened on the flange side. I sent an email to the Walker tech. support contact that I have been corresponding with and she maintains that it is listed as a direct fit for a 1986 Tercel wagon. Is it possible that on some years perhaps because of a different cat. and or muffler length that this pipe is too long or is Walker just oblivious to this discrepancy. As it turns out I decided that the local muffler shop (a one trick pony) was not going to proceed with my cars best interests in mind, I will be looking else where or do it myself. Ii looks like the majority of the original pipe/shielding is in good shape and that only the last 12 inches or so that connect to the muffler and the muffler are bad. So regardless of my having located a new Walker 4661 pipe, I may decide to just have the back section of the non air gap pipe replaced.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

the different models and years of the 4wd wagon have that flange in different location.
most of the cars i have worked on required shortening the walker pipe about 6 inches
there is a video on youtube showing tailpipe just before muffler fix
kitchman
Top Notch Member

Post by kitchman »

Ok, back again with some newly found information. Apparently the Walker 46691 intermediate pipe which as has been found by many, and now including myself to be to long, is for vehicles that were shipped to Canada. The correct Walker pipe, also probably obsolete for U.S. destined cars, is the Walker 45851. I am a little pissed that when exchanging conversations with the Walker tech support person, that this information was not made available. I will be calling them again on Monday.
Anyway, the car was up on the lift last week and as I suspected the majority of the pipe was good and only the last 18 inches or so and the muffler was rusted. The shop, contrary to what I was told over phone, was not able to make the necessary bends to fabricate and replace the rusted section of the pipe. Their remedy was to cut the needed section from the 46691 pipe and weld it on. I didn't like that idea, nor did I feel comfortable with their ability to shorten the 46691 on the flange side. Now thinking about saving the 46691 for a rainy day and locating some flexible tubing, preferably stainless and using clamps to join the new muffler to the non-rusted section of the original intermediate pipe.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

So how much "too long" is the 46691? Maybe eliminate the cat?
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

Walker 46691 is about 6 to 8 inches too long. removing cat would involve making a straight piece of pipe replacement to fill in the space since the cat section is around 20-30 inches long.
its much simpler to shorten the 46691.
kitchman
Top Notch Member

Post by kitchman »

Thanks for the replies,
Though even if removing the cat would make up for the length, which I know it will not, wouldn't be more labor intensive and invasive than what I spoke about doing with a section of flexible pipe to replace the rusted section of the original pipe, which except for the aforementioned area is in great shape, heat shielding and all?
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

I am not a fan of flex pipe. could be its better than it was decades ago .