Tercel suspension questions.

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Skulirag
My tercel:: 1986

Tercel suspension questions.

Post by Skulirag »

Hey guys, new to the forum and just bought a 1986 Toyota Tercel 4WD.

I have a few questions that maybe some of you know the answers to:

Can I use the same bushings for the fourlink on the Tercel and AE86?

Also, can I use front shocks from any other Toyota?

Those are my only questions so far.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Tercel suspension questions.

Post by Petros »

welcome to the fourm.

I would say no to both. however I am not familiar with the fourlink bushing, it may be the same. you need to check part numbers (I think on many on-line parts sites they will back reference the part to what it fits, Rockauto.com has that feature).

front strut assembly for the Tercel4wd is unique to that model, there are larger dia struts that can be made to work, but takes a bit of messing around (different bolt mounts, etc.). Most important is length of travel and max, and min length.

So unless you want to make a project out of it to make a larger strut fit, best stay with the Tercel4wd strut.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Skulirag
My tercel:: 1986

Post by Skulirag »

Thanks for the info Petros, the plans I have for the car are different from what everyone seems to be doing on this forum. I plan on lowering it, making it stiffer and eventually make it rwd. I had thought about seeing if I could swap Corolla AE100 struts up front and going for coilovers and AE86 rear coilovers. I'd really like to just slap the AE86 adjustable fourlink arms and panhard bar but would have to measure everything first ofcourse.

Thank you for you input though.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

anything is possible, just depends on how much effort you want to go to make it work. I am not familiar with the AE100 front strut, but I know the '88-'92 front corolla strut can be made to work without too much trouble.

The RWD corrola rear axle is almost identical to the Tercel4wd rear axle, so most of the rear suspension parts likely can be used on the Tercel, but if you plan on doing a high powered engine swap, you should consider putting the corolla rear axle in it since it has a larger rear diff. It should bolt up to the suspension hard points.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)