Radio Wiring Harness

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
C130
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 280K Lift and 195 75 14.

Radio Wiring Harness

Post by C130 »

Got a great deal today at the junk yard. A Kick ass Kenwood tape deck built into the lower dash. I Dyked off the harness and pulled the fascia only to find out that none of the wires matched the front and rear stereo wiring schematic. I'm looking for images of the stock set up of the 1982-85 set up. I have been able to identify via a multimeter the ground, switched power, constant power and backlighting. I even tried the 9V trick on every available speaker wire bump to no avail. I'm 20$ deep in a pick and pull stereo and would like to avoid a rewire. Does anyone have easy access to theyre wiring connections? 83-86. Photographic, cause this is a fuster cluck. Thanks!
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Re: Radio Wiring Harness

Post by jimcrazy »

I put a pioneer deck in my wagon and it came up wiring issue on the screen,,check the back side of the Toyota speaker wire plug ins they have a looped ground wire that comes out of the plug and goes back in to the plug,,just had to cut them
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

This may help? Photos.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6950&hilit=radio
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
C130
Advanced Member

Post by C130 »

Thanks mine seems different.
And it turns out the radio from the DLX didn't even have the rears wired up. I traced each wire and found the rear (+)(-).
I also figured out the color codes for my 84 SR5 4WD:
(Havent checked the polarities yet so if the speaker movement is inward reverse them OR check prior by touching wires to 9V BATT)

Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: RED

Radio Accessory Switched 12V: PINK BLUE STRIPE WITH RED DOT

Radio Ground Wire: GREEN RED STRIPE WITH RED DOT

Radio Illumination Wire: WHITE BLACK STRIPE WITH PINK DOT

Left Front Speaker: PINK WHITE / BROWN WHITE (COULD BE ORANGE)

Right Front Speaker: PINK / PINK BLACK

Left Rear Speaker : BLUE ORANGE / BLUE BLACK

Right Rear Speaker: BLACK / BLACK WHITE STRIPE
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 5.5 Tercels total... Not enough

Post by Rednecklawrence »

The factory service manual should tell you the wiring colors. When I bought my tercel the guy had put in a refurbed pioneer deck that was shit, and he had just cut the wiring harness out and twisted the wires together to make connections... not even some crimp connectors. I put in a KDC-x300 that was nice to adjust bass for my subs and I never had a problem
C130
Advanced Member

Post by C130 »

ARCHINSTL wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:14 pm This may help? Photos.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6950&hilit=radio
Tom M.
That thread was helpful to start. I had to cut all of the wires from the Frankenstein adapter that was used. Having trouble locating some cheap speakers to fit. Any recommendations...I know I should probably search before asking. Thanks
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

The rear speakers are 4” and the fronts are also 4” check crutchfield.com they have a lot of useful information.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
C130
Advanced Member

Post by C130 »

Will do. The fronts are actually 4" and the rear measures 5 1/4". I also hit a snag with the radio trim from the junk yard DLX. It doesn't fit. Its too large to clear the under floor ducts. So that's cool...