WATER LEAK ON DRIVER SIDE FLOOR

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
C130
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 280K Lift and 195 75 14.

WATER LEAK ON DRIVER SIDE FLOOR

Post by C130 »

I had water accumulating on my driver side floor for a while now. So much so that I had to tarp the car when not in use. I thought it was the windshield...Carefully used some of the permatex windshield sealant with the "capillary effect" and when I sprayed her down with the hose No water!

It rained and guess what...water. I pulled up the carpet and there was no evidence. I changed the setting on the hose to shower, hung out and had a beer. Viola water. Turns out it was going into the front rain gutter and running down the wiring harness in the left wheel well into the car. The rubber gasket / grommet thing was worn out and hung like sleeve of wizard. So I jacked the front left up removed the tire and the mud guard. Shifted the harness away from the water channel and put three thick coats of silicone 30yr sealant on it. Gave it a squirt of sealant from the inside too. Problem solved. No water, no tarp, no problem.

Hope this helps someone.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: WATER LEAK ON DRIVER SIDE FLOOR

Post by Mattel »

Good fix. nothings worse than a damp smelly car!

Also if someone has the factory sunroof they can also be fixed easily. Most folks just tape and seal the sunroof but there are easy fixes to keep it running!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

Nice fix! I recently had water leaking into my passenger floorboard also. Mine was the windshield seal. I had the windshield removed and that revealed the whole windshield lip was covered with rust scale and even had a few pin holes. Fourtunately after cleaning it up with a wire wheel on a grinder it was still in good structural shape. I filled the pin holes and primed and painted it. One more coat of base coat and a couple more of clear and she’ll be ready for the new glass on Monday.

. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
C130
Advanced Member

Post by C130 »

Bold Move Helipilot! I initially took on the removal of the windshield trim only to find out that an earlier windshield replacement had the trim embedded in sealant. It was disintegrating as I began removal. I'm impressed man, I thought the glass would implode if I gave it a shot.
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

My glass did end up breaking even when a professional tried to remove it. Of course it might have been intentional so that I would have had to buy a new one. The factory way of installing the trim clips is to glue them in place.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
C130
Advanced Member

Post by C130 »

Bummer, I wasn't aware. The FSM was a bit confusing.