Frustrating Oil Leak!

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Frustrating Oil Leak!

Post by SirFoxx »

Hello--

About two weeks ago, I pulled the motor from my tercel to seal an oil leak that appeared on the left rear side of the engine (also split the tranny to reseal it, and replace the countershaft bearing). I initially thought it was the pan leaking, but at this point, I have no idea where its leaking, or what to check anymore.

I think I've pulled the motor 4-5 times at this point to try and seal the oil leak. And it's not a slow drip type of leak. It's a clutch ruining, transmission soaking, smoke screen producing type of leak. Especially when you try to accelerate real hard. From what I can tell at this point, the flywheel is flinging the oil at the left rear corner, and its leaking from the hole in the ear on the block where it bolts to the transmission (if that makes sense). It is then soaking the exhaust pipe, and coating the transmission. I've tried resealing the pan with grey rtv, black rtv, and "the right stuff" rtv, and I'm really starting to think its not the pan. I also replaced the gasket on the rear main cover, and replaced the rear main seal twice, the second time with anaerobic sealant. I just put dye in it today, so maybe when I pull it again, I can find the leak.

Are there any trouble spots I should look for? Any spots known to crack?
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Frustrating Oil Leak!

Post by xirdneh »

Sounds like the input shaft seal in front of transmission
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member

Post by SirFoxx »

xirdneh wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:52 pm Sounds like the input shaft seal in front of transmission
I replaced that when I split the tranny. The oil being flung around is motor oil unfortunately :/
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you likely never had an oil pan leak. Oil runs down from somewhere else, and than follows the oil pan seal aound and it appears to be the source of oil.

That is why you always should DIAGNOSE the problem BEFORE you try and fix it.

If the rear main seal is good the other common sources of leaks are: the valve cover, particularly the rear half moon seal at the back, the distributor o-ring, the fuel pump, and the oil pressure sender. Also, front cam seal, or front crankshaft seal, usually you can tell if it is from the front.

I recently had a slipping clutch, finally changed it but found it was not that worn, it appears oil was leaking out that darn half moon seal and running down the back of the engine, inside the bell housing.

You can also try steam cleaning the engine off, and than do the dye test. Usually much easier to isolate the source when the engine is clean.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

I also had the seal under the aluminum retainer that holds the rear seal go bad. For some reason it was disintegrating. It was a fairly new one too. I replaced it with a Toyota gasket that was very substantial as compared to the grey gasket that came with the rear seal kit.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
TracDoc
My tercel:: 1985 Deluxe

Post by TracDoc »

I think your problem is a leaking oil journal plug at the back of the block. However, I am not sure the 3A engine has oil journal plugs since I have not been able to find a picture of the backside of the block. If you have tried all the suggested areas of possible engine leaks (valve cover, distributor, plug in the back of the head, etc.), I would do the following:
Remove the transmission only and leave the engine in running condition and the car jacked up safely
Remove the clutch and the flywheel
Clean all the old oil off the backside of the block
Start the engine (have somebody rev up the engine if needed)
look for the oil leak
TracDoc
My tercel:: 1985 Deluxe

Post by TracDoc »

Correction to my last post:
You will have to leave the flywheel on and mount the starter into position to start the engine.
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member

Post by SirFoxx »

Guess I should put my resolved issue, huh? Turned out it was my pan. Same issue, permatex rtv not curing. Went to the dealer, got some FIPG, applied it, waited 2 days, and its sealed. Hurray!!!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

good! you can also buy a gasket for the oil pan, but I notice that the factory uses a sealant there, no gasket. both can work.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)