Need Electrical Help with Short at Alternator

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Need Electrical Help with Short at Alternator

Post by xirdneh »

My 83 tercel has not been started for 6 months . I took the alternator out to use in another car. I bought a reman alternator and installed it. When I hooked up the batt terms it blew the 60 amp fuse in the fuse box on driver side fender. At first I blamed the new alternator but now I am not so sure.
Here is what I did. I used an ohm meter set at 20k and began touching wires.
With battery disconnected I touched positive batt cable with one probe and the other probe to each of the blades in the alternator plug and the single wire connection. I got readings on all 3 plug blades (E,F & N” and the single conn.(H) , the meter would flash around 14 and drop to lower number usually around 11 and continually count down.
Then I did the same to the negative batt cable. I got similar readings on 2 plug blades (E,F) but ZIP on one plug blade (“N”) and ZIP on the single wire conn.(H). What does this mean?
I also did same test on my 87 tercel which has a slightly different configuration but I got readings all the way thru with no ZIP’s.
Looking into end of plug with bottom blades vertical, “E” on left, “N” on right, “F” on top (horizontal).
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Need Electrical Help with Short at Alternator

Post by xirdneh »

Never mind just found out I have a external regulator alternator and my car requires internal. You would think they would have a different plug so they cannot be installed in wrong car
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

I've got an extra one I no longer use if you want it. Used it for about a week or so. Couldn't live with the 55amp output.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

it turns out the plugs are different between internal and external
though my internal plug seemed to fit on the ext alt enough that i did not notice anything fishy
the three internal alt. blades are offset and the external alt. three blades are symmetrical.