AC idler pulley

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
kitchman
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 2wd tercel hatch back ,1986 SR5

AC idler pulley

Post by kitchman »

Thinking It soon will be necessary to replace the AC idler pulley. Does any one know if a new replacement bearing can be pressed in in instead of trying to find the complete discontinued pulley assy?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: AC idler pulley

Post by Petros »

I have not looked, but most standard bearings can be replaced. press out the current one and take it to an industrial bearing retailer, most towns have at least one, large cities have several suppliers. they will measure it and match it to something they have in stock.

You can also shop on-line, but I have tired that and it is rather difficult to narrow down exactly what you need, there is such a very large array of bearings available. It is not just the size that matters, but the application determines a lot of other important features or properties it should have. So the sales man's observations that allow them to match the existing bearings are usually worth buying it in person. Differences in cost a not usually worth considering when you are buying just one bearing.

I had recently took the blower apart on our home heating system, the bearings were shot (and I was told at a supply place the motor was not rebuildable, and they were no longer in production...they suggested I spend $7000 (plus installation) to replace the whole boiler). The blower assembly itself would cost about $600 if I could get a replacement. So I managed to take it apart anyway, despite the dire warnings, and found the bearing closer to the fan side (the hot side) was bad. I pressed them off and tried to match them on line...too many to choose from. Next time I went into town I dropped by a bearing supplier, he just measured them and found some better quality (USA made) seals steal bearings. They were $4.95 each. I bought four, two for the motor and two spares. This saved me over $7000, and got it done faster. I should have ignored the "experts" that wanted to sell me a new boiler, and I would have gotten the home warming sooner last winter.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
kitchman
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 2wd tercel hatch back ,1986 SR5

Re: AC idler pulley

Post by kitchman »

Removed the AC idler pulley and the bearing seems ok, no roughness. The bearing doesn't appear to be serviceable and not intended to be removed from the pulley assy. I also have a 1983 Tercel hatchback and took a look at the AC idler pulley to see if there was any front to back movement in the pulley and there was. Just wondering at this point if this slight front to back movement in the pulley is normal?
Could you folks check on this with your cars and let me know?