Fuel pump installment

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
amcewen
My tercel:: 1984 Carib Sprinter (Tercel) 4wd wagon

Fuel pump installment

Post by amcewen »

I have a '84 Toyota Carib Sprinter (imported from Japan). Should be the same thing as the Tercel in the States. So, I recently had a mechanical fuel pump sent to me from the States that fits Tercels '80-88. There are two main differences in the pumps.

1. There is a spring on the pump lever of the old pump, whereas there isn't a spring on the new one. Is this okay?

2. The old pump has a tapered end on the lever, wherease the new one doesn't.

I figured maybe the spring is internal on the new one, so I was going to try it anyway. But now, I'm having a real difficult time getting the pump lever to slide correctly into the camshaft. It's just not sitting flush on the engine block (and, there's a spacer). I tried to put the old one back in and am having the same issue, so I don't really think it's because of the tapered end. Has anyone installed a fuel pump before and have any tips?

Thanks!
amcewen

Re: Fuel pump installment

Post by amcewen »

IMG_4412.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

looks like the new one should work, the slight differences of the two pumps are not the problem. the most important thing is that the geometry between the mount and lever arm is the same.

you might be pushing against the lever arm that has a strong spring in it, it will not completely seat against the gasket face unless you compress the arm. This makes installing it more troublesome, but not impossible. You just have to compress the lever arm as you push the pump into place. You can use the bolts to "suck it up" into the correct position, but be very sure that nothing in the pump is binding up or over compressed. It might help to rotate the engine so the cam lob the drives the pump is in the least compressed position.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
amcewen

Post by amcewen »

Ok, thanks geometry is the same. I tried reinserting the old fuel pump, and it's not sitting flush either. I'm worried about damaging the camshaft sprocket or something if I push it in too hard. Took a photo inside to see what was in the way. Tried turning the little camshaft sprocket. Nothing giving. guess i'll just keep fooling around with it to see if anything gives.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

there is supposed to be a thick plastic insulator between the head and the pump, plus a heat shield. the insulator is like 12 mm or more thick, as i recall (about a half an inch). you have to have these in place or nothing will line up properly.

I do not see any in the picture.

remember to put sealant on both sides of the insulator and the heat shield, because oil will leak from either side.
amcewen

Post by amcewen »

There wasn't a thick plastic insulator when I took it off. Just the heat shield (and old gaskets) between the head and original pump. I did notice the original pump, with the spring on the lever, probably had enough give to be sucked in by the bolts...whereas the new pump doesn't have any play in the lever. the extra space provided by the plastic insulator would definitely fix the issue. I'm in NZ so it's hard to get parts...I'm guessing I'd have to order the plastic insulator online. dammit.
amcewen

Post by amcewen »

This is what it looked like right when I took it off.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

All Gen II Tercs used the spacer and maybe Gen I (?). I wonder if the 4AC used it as well?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
amcewen

Post by amcewen »

Well shoot, I don't have the first clue of how to find a compatible spacer/insulator in NZ. anybody in NZ have a clue? guess i'll start by calling the boys down at the auto parts store tomorrow and spending the first 10 mins just trying to make sure we're talking about the same thing. Thanks everyone; sounds like if I can get that spacer then my troubles will be over!
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Looks like the old isolator is in the old pump.
Or thats one THICK gasket. :oldgeek:
amcewen

Post by amcewen »

Yea the width of the heat shield is decently thick, but definitely not a 1/2 inch!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

no need to search far and wide, you can just make one from heat resistant plastic, or metal if necessary. Aluminum is easy to work, so would a block of fiberglass.

I think the carb version of the 4ac, as well as any 3ac, would use the same insulator. give me a day or so to verify the thickness of my spacer before you proceed. Or perhaps someone else on the forum has one handy they can just measure accurately.
amcewen

Post by amcewen »

That would be great; thanks lots!
amcewen

Post by amcewen »

Could I not just use self forming high temp silicone gasket product to make a gasket of required thickness? Or would it compress too much?
atoyta
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 3 wagons now

Post by atoyta »

Will not work, have you tried taking the plastic part off the old pump & using it with the new pump? I swear I see it still on the old one.