Distributor oil leak

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Guthrie
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel Wagon

Distributor oil leak

Post by Guthrie »

Hi folks -

After cleaning my engine, discovered a pretty profuse oil leak. Looked at first like it was coming from the head gasket towards the back, but now I'm certain it's starting a little higher, where the distributor is. Based on what I've researched online so far, it's a matter of taking the distributor out and replacing the o-ring. I'm wary to do it myself because I don't want to disrupt the timing. Does anybody have experience fixing this leak?
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Distributor oil leak

Post by xirdneh »

If you remove dist cap and note where rotor is pointing you can reinstall dist so rotor points to same spot.
Just do not rotate crank while dist is out.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
mrdance123
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 and 85 4wd wagons

Post by mrdance123 »

It's not hard to do. Remove all wires and the 2 or 3 vacuum hoses from the bottom of distributor. You can start with turning the engine to 0' TDC cylinder one, but it's not required. Mark the position of the edge of the 12mm retaining bolt against the plate beneath to remember exact current timing setting. Remove the 12mm retaining bolt. Note the angle the distributor is at before you pull it out (and put it back in at same angle later). I twist it to be straight up and down vertically, then pull out, because I find it difficult to determine other angles before it is all the way back in. You may twist distributor all around it's range of adjustment before pulling it out without upsetting the gear tooth positioning. Carefully pull straight out without bumping or moving the gear on the end of distributor shaft inside engine head. It may be stuck and come loose suddenly, so carefully wiggle and pull with that in mind. Immediately mark the gear position with a sharpie after wiping off excess oil. Cut or pry off old o-ring and put new one on. Re-position gear lining up with your mark, install distributor back at same angle. You can also ignore this match marking, and follow the service manual's directions for setting timing. It is common to be 1 gear tooth off when installing, it will run, but poorly. Fix by pulling out and turning 1 gear tooth one way or the other. You might get lucky and it's right the first time. If it's not right, determine which way turning the distributor makes it run better, and adjust it 1 gear tooth notch in the opposite direction after you pull it out.
85 T4 Speedy Blue, SR5, 270-312k, operational R12 A/C, in use.
84 T4 Curmudgeon Copper, 188-294k, my first T4 in 1990, now Dad's daily driver.
RIP - 84 T4 Foxy Blue, 256-288k, engine died 2021, sold to PNP
Sold: 86 T2 Silver, VIN ending 5847, 194k, cherry condition, now in a good home.
RIP - 83 T4 Smokin' Gold, 270k, rusted out body, parted & scrapped
RIP - 84 T4 Quicksilver SR5, 125k, blown engine no oil, had sat 10+ years, parted & scrapped.
RIP - 80 Corolla (purchased new), 0-473k, 358k original engine, rear-ended totaled in 2003.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

easy fix, go for it. nothing to be afraid of. just make sure you get the rotor back in the same place as from before you pull it out. sometimes it takes a few tries.

I also like to put a bit of non-hardening sealant on the o-ring. It should not need it, but it helps prevent tearing the new o-ring on installment, grease also works for that.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Does anyone have the part number for this seal? Some detective work on Rock Auto came up empty...
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Professor,

Here is the Felpro O-Ring and some other part numbers.

Fel-pro Seal on Ebay
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

In stock at my local auto parts store! Thanks!
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited