Carb leaking?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
jaydee911
My tercel:: 87 t4wd

Carb leaking?

Post by jaydee911 »

Was checking out my carb and came across what might be fuel leaking. I ran it and watched couldn't tell if anything was coming out.

Hope the picture is ok. It's the fire wall side. Look at the slight build up of gunk there it was wet snd smelt of gass. Under the throttle spring. Thanks..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
87 tercel wagon
87 toyota pick up 4" on 33s flat bed
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Carb leaking?

Post by Petros »

mine has done that for over ten years, I think it is either seeping through the diaphragm for the secondary throttle plate (which means it only leaks a drop or two when you slam down the throttle when the secondary opens), or it is seeping out the vent hole from the secondary diaphragm. I have not been able to located the source, and i have had my carb off several times.

not enough fuel comes out of it to be a hazard, as soon as the drop hits the heat shield it evaporates, leaving the gunky residue. I do not know if new carbs do this, or if it is an indication of something failed. I does not seem to affect drivablitiy nor fuel economy.

I have seen this same stain under the secondary throttle diaphragm on a number of other Tercels, but none seem to be affected by it. I had one that dripped regularly, and other than an occational fuel smell when I shut the engine off, no other effects could be found.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
jaydee911
My tercel:: 87 t4wd

Post by jaydee911 »

Petros you the man!
Thanks!
87 tercel wagon
87 toyota pick up 4" on 33s flat bed
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Mines always been like that also, I suspect its just the throttle shaft getting worn and I don't think theres much you can do for it other than replace it. Mines never been too much of an issue though, I would imagine if it got worse it might cause a vacuum leak and cause a little bit of issues though.
FarmerJack
My tercel:: 1987 SR5

Post by FarmerJack »

I just posted a reply on my A3 carburetor repair problems. Also have a slight leak of fuel from the carb. Mine sees to be coming from the sight glass. If the glass window and oring are still available,I should probably replace them.

FarmerJack