noisy power steering pump.

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

noisy power steering pump.

Post by Mattel »

Hi all
I'm pretty sure the Corolla all trac power steering is similar to the tercel so thought I would ask here, I'm hearing a loud whirring noise from my power steering unit when I turn the wheel a little especially when its cold. it smells a little bit like burning (that could be a little bit of oil leak on the manifold though) the fluid seems a little milky in colour but doesn't have seem to have leaked out. Drive belt seems ok. I'm wondering if the bearings in the power steer pump are shot or something? any ideas? or am I missing something? cheers
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: noisy power steering pump.

Post by xirdneh »

mine was whirring until warm recently
added some auto tranny fluid and it shut up
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have almost 400k miles on my power steering pump, several years ago it started making the same noise. I figured it was likely about to fail, so I keep driving it since I had a spare.

I put in fresh AFT to see if it made a difference, and the noise went away. I am still driving on the original power steering pump, with only an occasional ATF top up.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

That usually means there is air in the system. If you have a mighty vac try sucking out the old ATF from the reservoir and filling it with new. Also try turning the wheel from lock to lock several times with the engine running to try to bleed any air bubbles out.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Hi Guys, Thanks, I realised now that my power steering lid/dipstick is from a later wrecked car and although it was saying full on the dipstick it might have been incorrect for the reservoir so Have topped it right up and lock to lock a few times had some bubbles come out of the fluid so I hope it is OK. Recently replaced the factory metal sunroof with a glass one and been making a few other improvements - am about to install a strut bar and a later interior. Cheers - Matt
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

It's probably fine. We ran the Impala's fluid pretty low for weeks before adding fluid, twice, and it was ok. I'm sure a Toyota-engineered pump will forgive your abuse well enough.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

thanks just did 500kms on it since and only a little noisy on full lock but it's always been like that for the last 50,000kms