Idle issues?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
timemachinetercel
My tercel:: 1984 SR5. 3AC Motor.

Re: Idle issues?

Post by timemachinetercel »

I believe the idle screw is set okay, I have played around with that to get it to 950rpm.. I have also sprayed around with Carb cleaner looking for leaks quite a lot and I haven't noticed any idle change. It definitely seems worse when the car has been run a while and its warm. Especially when it has been turned off and then back on.. ill check the choke as well..
Thanks again everyone, this forum rocks!!
timemachinetercel

I'm not sure about the choke valve. I will have a look at that. I have replaced any Vac hoses that looked a little suspect. I have also sprayed around with Carb and haven't noticed any idle change.. its a little frustrating! Its definitely worse when the car is warm and after a run.. especially when turning the car off and back on..
By the way, this forum to rocks!
timemachinetercel

Sorry, didn't mean to post twice.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

the fast idle is different than the idle. it is a separate screw, located near the idle screw. the procedure for setting the fast idle is in the FSM.

check all the intake manifold bolts and make sure they're snug. same with the carb mounting nuts. almost all are accessible without removing anything. i think only one or two of the manifold bolts cannot be reached without removing the carb.
timemachinetercel

Okay!
Well I checked all the carb and manifold bolts, all are good and tight. Had a look at a vacuum diagram and all seems good as well..
Still surging when hot :( :(

A huge bummer is that a part broke when I was removing the air filter.
What is the name of the piece that the large vacuum hose from the carb connects to on the air filter? It has another small hose that runs to it and two Philips screws that hold it on and a brass nut at the top. The piece is an off white color.

The connect for that main vacuum hose snapped off! I bodged it with some glue for now but I will need a new one..
Thanks!
gnarnold
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4x4 with a tummy tuck and a nose job and now a pace maker!

Post by gnarnold »

timemachinetercel wrote:Hi there!

I have recently become the proud owner of an 84 SR5 with 140k miles..
I have owned the car around a month and it's just awesome..
I have noticed that recently my idle is surging and dropping but it only really seems to do it when the car is warm and when starting it warm.. (If that makes sense?) When you drive the car from cold and don't turn it off generally speaking it idles okay..
I have changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel pump and filter. I have been looking around at the Vac hoses as well (There are so many!) Using Carb cleaner but I haven't noticed any change in Idle in doing this.
I have replaced a could that looked a bit old but even with all this it still won't idle well. Lately it has been surging more than dying..

I have owned a couple of older cars now and I enjoy the challenge and am just learning as I go!

So if anyone has any ideas, I would love some help!

Thanks!
I remember when I used to be so excited to think that it was gonna be fun working on my tersey and heck. ...I anticipated the joy of riding around with no problems for a few months ....then weeks ....and days......now I'm even down to it taking seconds before something else breaks .
Take some advice .don't ever ,ever ,speak badly of your tercel.EVER. especially in the presence of her .
Don't even have bad thoughts about her the kid that wishes everyone into the corn field ain't got nuthin on the tercey
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that is the thermal device that uses vacuum from under the carb to actuate the flap in the heat riser, it is supposed to maintain constant intake air temp. If you do not live in a place that gets very cold you can disable this device and just cap it off.

I have my flap rigged to the full open position so it always draw in cold air from the intake near the head light. Cold air is more dense and produces more hp than warm air. not ideal for emissions, but my car is exempt in my state anyway, and I want all the extra hp that tiny engine can produce.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Wait Peter, you're thinking of two different flappers.

One is on the exhaust manifold, and one is on the air filter!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
timemachinetercel

Do you guys know where I can get a new one?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I was not talking about the flap in the exhaust manifold, but the vac operated one on the intake to the air cleaner. It mixes air off the exhaust manifold and cold air intake to maintain the temp of the incoming air.

Many on the forum have extra parts for you. I have an extra one kicking around, I will see if I can find it in the next few days. It was cleaned rather nicely when it went through the laundry in the pocket of my car "work" pants. Just do not let your wife catch you intentionally cleaning auto parts this way.
Notmikeb
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 85 Tercel 5dr FWD

Post by Notmikeb »

Petros wrote:It was cleaned rather nicely when it went through the laundry in the pocket of my car "work" pants. Just do not let your wife catch you intentionally cleaning auto parts this way.
That's a good trick! I've used the dishwasher to clean parts before in the middle of the night when my wife wouldn't catch me but never the washing machine.
-------------
1985 Tercel 5dr Hatchback
2003 Chevy Suburban
2014 Ford Flex

"I don't get it! I've cut this thing FIVE times now and it's STILL too SHORT!"
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

the dishwasher makes a good car parts washer too, but chances of getting caught dishwashing a carburator body or valve cover is rather high.

Some day I may rig up a parts washer tray I can take apart and put away. I am thinking a plain metal pan with lid, with some kind of vibration device (ultra sonic would be good, but likely really necessary). Set it up, fill with solvent or carb cleaner, dump grease parts in it, turn on the agitator/vibration device for a few hours. When done it gets put away so it does not take up space in your shop/garage.
Notmikeb
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 85 Tercel 5dr FWD

Post by Notmikeb »

We use an industrial ultrasonic parts washer at work using basically hot soapy water. Amazing how clean things get in just a short amount of time.
-------------
1985 Tercel 5dr Hatchback
2003 Chevy Suburban
2014 Ford Flex

"I don't get it! I've cut this thing FIVE times now and it's STILL too SHORT!"
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I have seen those devices, and would love to have one. they look simple enough to make, but are terribly costly to buy. You just need to vibrate a pan at high speed.

I have an old junk scrole saw that mostly works by vibrating a fine saw blade under tension (it does not work very well, I have a much better one now, I bought it for like $2). I thought if I pull off the arm the holds the blade and than attach a pan to the cutting surface it might work well enough.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4x4 with a tummy tuck and a nose job and now a pace maker!

Post by gnarnold »

Or a square sander turned upside down with you recepticle bonded to the sanding pad place the upside down sander in a 2x4or 4x4 little jig to keep it from jumping all over the place
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|