Popping Noise In 5th

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
83Whit3Hatch
My tercel:: 1983 3 Door Stripper Model. Grey seats with red inserts. 5spd swap.100W 9003 bulb upgrade.

Popping Noise In 5th

Post by 83Whit3Hatch »

After finally getting my car back on the road consistently in April of this year, she has developed a noise in 5th.

Pertinent info:
FWD
1985 5 spd gear section
1985 5 spd shifter housing
1983 4 spd bellhousing
1985 5 spd gear shift lever
New bearings
New synchros
75W90 Synthetic

As I posted a few minutes ago the 4 spd bellhousing is different and I found that out the hard way. The biggest issue is it causes you to engage 4th and reverse when selecting reverse, until you machine the hole that is designed to stabilize/receive the tip of the 5th/reverse shift rail.

When in 5th at highway speeds she makes a rhythmic popping noise that does not seem to change with speed. Started out almost unnoticeable at first, only heard cause it was amplified by a concrete barrier. Now noticeable at anytime in 5th.

Any ideas as to cause?
Suggestions for further diagnosis?

Thanks,
Chris
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Popping Noise In 5th

Post by xirdneh »

i am trying to make sense out of the bell housing thing
did you drill a hole for the 5th gear support?
if not i do not see how it would go together
also did you install the bearing in the hole for the countershaft end (after removing the freeze plug)

the 5th gear problem may not be related to above
i would guess one of three things
1. some teeth have gone bad on the fifth gear set
2. the synchro detents (aka shift keys) are messed up, like one fell out or was installed upside down or the wrong key used
3. the 5th gear (on countershaft) snap ring is messed up somehow
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
83Whit3Hatch
My tercel:: 1983 3 Door Stripper Model. Grey seats with red inserts. 5spd swap.100W 9003 bulb upgrade.

Post by 83Whit3Hatch »

To clarify, the housing is cast with the hole but it is not finish machined (still rough cast) and needs to be cleaned up before you can shift into reverse with out issue.

Ok, the detents were a pain on that cluster. I'll have to take her apart and look. Thank you for the direction.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

"also did you install the bearing in the hole for the countershaft end (after removing the freeze plug)"?

detents should have number 53 on backside

i have trouble with those detents too, have to hold three detents with stratigically placed finger tips pushing them down while sliding sleeve over them with fifth gear fork attached
helps a bit to grease the detents so they stay put a little bit
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
83Whit3Hatch

Post by 83Whit3Hatch »

I did remove the freeze plug and put in a new bearing.

I'll have to try the grease trick. I have some transmission assembly lube that's pretty tacky. I'll check for the 53. Thank you, again.