loud ticking noise under a load

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
duster97
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 2wd

loud ticking noise under a load

Post by duster97 »

I am hearing a very noticeable ticking noise from the motor. It sounds like a bad valve lash, but it only occurs at low rpm and in gear under a load. I can hear it especially when driving by concrete road dividers and the sound is bouncing off of them. When in neutral the tick is non existent at any rpm. Any suggestions
Notmikeb
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 85 Tercel 5dr FWD

Re: loud ticking noise under a load

Post by Notmikeb »

Is it detonation (ping)? Sounds almost like crackling? This can happen if timing is too far advanced.
-------------
1985 Tercel 5dr Hatchback
2003 Chevy Suburban
2014 Ford Flex

"I don't get it! I've cut this thing FIVE times now and it's STILL too SHORT!"
duster97
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 2wd

Post by duster97 »

It's advanced to 12* btdc. I'll set it to 10 and see if it still does it
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

valve lash noise goes with engine speed, and is usually more noticeable when cold, and at low speeds. but it is always in sync with engine speed. Ajust the vales when the engine is warm, that should take care of it.

detonation or ping only happens under hard acceleration or heavy loads, like going up a long steep road. You will get no ping under light loads or at idle. and it is not in sync with engine speed but sound more random. Using premimu fuel as a test to see if it goes away is a simple test, backing off the spark timing, and doing a seafoam carbon build up treatment in the combution chamber should take care of it.

does the tick go more with the engine speed, or with the vehicle speed? a worn CV axle can click, that will only happen when the car is moving, and it will tick faster with road speed, not engine speed. And it is more noticeable at slower speeds. this almost sounds like what you have going on. If it is the cv axle, just ignore it until it gets so bad (which can be more than a year away) it is annoying, than replace the axle.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

sounds like predetonation. retard the timing until the pinging at low RPM and under load goes away. stock timing is 5* BTDC.