What Caliper can i fit on my 86 tercel

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
J Dumarais
My tercel:: Toyota Tercel 4WD Wagon '86 & Jose 87' Tercel 4WD Wagon

What Caliper can i fit on my 86 tercel

Post by J Dumarais »

I need to change driver side warmed galiper. But i got hard time finding one. I saw a couple of you Guys using 90' brake parts on your car: do i need adaptable part? What part from other years/model can i use to rebuild my front brake.
Tanks alot Guys your great!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: What Galiper can i fit on my 86 tercel

Post by dlb »

there is an entire thread dedicated to this topic in the repair guides section. look for 'brake upgrade'
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: What Caliper can i fit on my 86 tercel

Post by Petros »

you have to change the caliper and rotors, and either add a spacer, or buy a certain rotor for a certain model of VW, alltogther as a set, not just the caliper. stick with the stock one unless you intend to replace all of the brake parts.

the front caliper should be the same for all Toyota Tercels from '83-87 or even '88, all models, not just the 4wd. Napa, autozone and other chains were able to order the stock calipers, Rockauto.com also had them in stock the last time I checked.

Where are you located? somewhere remote perhaps?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
J Dumarais

Post by J Dumarais »

Should i change both of theme?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

J Dumarais wrote:Should i change both of theme?
absolutely. you don't want one side braking harder than the other. it would pull to that side when you brake.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

changing them is pairs is normally recommended, they are the same age after all. Personaly if the other one is working normally, I would just replace the one. if it works properly it will put equal pressure on both sides. The kind of advice that DLB gave is typical of what you hear in parts stores and repair shops, and it made sence to me. But over the 40+ years I have been working on cars and trucks of all sizes, I have had one caliper sieze up (gets moisture in the seal and typically rusts the piston), I just replaced the one side and never had an issue. they are not really connected, it is not like when you have one side pulled apart that access is any easier to the other.

If you have any reason to question the other one, replace as a pair. if it is working good, I would leave it. If you want to do the brake up grade, replace both rotors and calipers, plus the flex hose on both sides. Note you do not have to replace the master cylinder to go with the larger brakes, the master and the calipers/rotors up grade can be done separately. Personally I would not waste any money putting in new stock brake calipers, they are too flimsy for the 4wd wagon (toyota should have known better). It was the same front brake as on the 2wd hatch back 2 door version of this car, the 4wd 5 seat wagon is heavier and should have the larger brakes becasue you will over heat the unvented 11 mm thick rotors on any long hill.

Go see the thread on my brake up grade in the repair guides section.

good luck.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i think he meant "if i upgrade one side, should i upgrade the other at the same time?" that's how i took it, anyway.

if just sticking with stock brakes, replacing just the one faulty caliper is fine.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

I would also replace the hoses when you replace the calipers. I found out last week when I replaced my front brake pads that the threads on the brake hoses going to the calipers strip very easily. I disconnected the hoses on mine when I replaced my brake pads. On my left wheel, I had to do this twice since I forgot to do something the first time on that side. I noticed that the threads on the brake hose were pretty worn down and I had push the hose into the caliper before the threads would grab. When everything was installed again and I tried to bleed the brake lines, there were so many bubbles in the left side it looked like white foam. I went through 3 bottles of brake fluid and it didn't clear. I eventually stopped being stubborn and took it all apart again. I replaced the hose with the worn threads and then everything was fine. The air bled out as it should. I think the worn threads (taper) in the old hose were allowing air to be sucked in when I took my foot off the brake pedal. Anyway, removing and replacing old brake hoses wears down the threads and may cause air leaks.
J Dumarais

Post by J Dumarais »

Actualy i have to change the caliper juste because my hose plug is stript
J Dumarais

Post by J Dumarais »

Juste read the brake upgrade guide... A second time. Like my statut say, im a newbie and a french one.So With my better understanding of the job i would need an 92' Tercel galiper and rotor (easy to find used) and 1/8" rotor spacer size of the 92' tercel. All this will work on my stock 86' Tercel wagon 4wd jute find? Are the rubber hose are easy to find with Napa/Lorco, wish one do i use: 92' or 86'?

Sorry for my confusing other post.

Tanks alot for your time.

I see my dream travelling car at the end of the tunnel!
J Dumarais

Post by J Dumarais »

So i bought 92' Tercel flex hose
I know where to find 92' Caliper and rotor
But still at Napa and Lorco no sign of spacer for beteen the hub and rotor only rime spacer avalable, gonna try my local machinist tomorow.
If he can do it do somebody have the exacte diameter and bots hole disposition (manifacturing manual maby)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

there is a pattern or plan for the spacer at the end of that thread. they are not hard to make yourself, I did it with a hand drill, a hack saw and a file to get it to final shape.

If you are in the USA, forum member Synthdesign has a small inventory of them made up to sell, I do not know how many he has left but the price is reasonable.

Also, you can eliminate the spacer if you get a certain model of VW jetta rotor (as I recall, it noted in the end of the thread). A forum member did some research and found the correct offset and thickness of rotor with teh same bolt pattern, this will not require the spacer. VW parts are a little more expensive I suspect, but you save the cost of the spacers.

good luck.
LeeBiew
Advanced Member
My tercel:: "The Humble Bee" - Yellow 83 T4WD SR5 6spd and "The Goose" - Grey 86 T4WD DLX Auto (orphan to be saved)

Post by LeeBiew »

"The Humble Bee" - Yellow 83 T4WD SR5 6spd
"The Goose" - Grey 86 T4WD DLX Auto (orphan to be saved)
LeeBiew
Advanced Member
My tercel:: "The Humble Bee" - Yellow 83 T4WD SR5 6spd and "The Goose" - Grey 86 T4WD DLX Auto (orphan to be saved)

Post by LeeBiew »

Don't buy calipers yet. I am a few days away from finishing Humble Bee Brake Upgrade 2.0! No more 87-89 MR2 front calipers! Something even better!
"The Humble Bee" - Yellow 83 T4WD SR5 6spd
"The Goose" - Grey 86 T4WD DLX Auto (orphan to be saved)
overs10ded
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986

Post by overs10ded »

YES! ^^^^^^^