Transmission Swap

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
cbart45
My tercel:: 1987 Wagon 4x4

Transmission Swap

Post by cbart45 »

I have a 1987 Terc Wagon 4x4. 4AC. 226,000 miles. 5 speed manual. My transmission is on its way out. Pops out of 2nd gear. Starting to grind a little when shifting. I have changed all of the drivetrain fluids but it seems to be getting progressively worse. I am starting to look for a replacement tranny. I am pretty sure this is a total BONEHEAD question but here goes: Does the replacement trasmission have to be out of another 4x4 Tercel or can it be out of any old Tercel? Are the 4 wheel drive and 2 wheel drive transmissions the same but with extra 4x4 components bolted on? What years should I be looking for? Thanks for your help everyone! Charles
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Re: Transmission Swap

Post by Gottolovem »

The gear ratio must match the rear axle! Try to find a 4wd transaxle from a 85 through 88 donar 4wd tercel only.
If you find a 4wd tercel that's 83 or 84 with a good tranny, you can change the rear axle gear set with it's tranny.
You can just change the gear box alone from any 4wd tercel 83 through 88 good luck
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9657

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7148
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

swapping the tranny only and leaving the tranaxle/differential housing in is the way to go
As Gottolovem says "You can just change the gear box alone from any 4wd tercel 83 through 88 good luck"

your tranny most likely has a bearing going bad, one of the two large bearings in the front of the tranny
if you keep driving it the bearing will fall apart and the pieces will grind up the tranny real well
keep the old tranny for parts or give it to the closest site member that will take it
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

as the other guys have pointed out, you can find a complete trans from a 85-88 4wd tercel, a complete trans and rear diff from an 83-84 4wd tercel, or you can separate the trans from the front diff and forego matching diff ratios -- the diffs are where you run into problems matching gear ratios.

if you go with the first option, make sure to count the teeth on your current diffs to confirm what ratio they are before you swap anything in. there have been a lot of people here who have swapped 85-88 transmissions into their 85-88 tercs only to find that a previous owner must have already swapped the trans and rear diff with an 83-84. you can imagine the headaches involved here.

that's why xirdneh suggests just swapping the trans but keeping your diffs. less chance of banging your head against a wall later.
brotherbob
My tercel:: 84-85

Post by brotherbob »

Thanks for the info on this thread!
I'm way deep into a 84 to 85 swap and this clears the air.