Dash Removal-Inclinometer Questions

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
tripp

Post by tripp »

I have an 87 Tercel SR5 4wd. I am trying to take the dash pad off to install an inclinometer from an older SR5. My questions are: How many screws do I need to remove and does anyone have a schematic of the dash that they could e-mail me? (tripp3@earthlink.net) I have taken out about 15 so far, not including those that hold the gauge cluster. Also, does anyone know if the dash on an 87 is prewired for an inclinometer? If not, does anyone have experience in wiring one of this things up. I think they really add to the look of the interior--kind of like a mini-4Runner! Thanks for your help.

Tripp
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

I recently removed an inclinometer from an 83 tercel 4wd at a wrecking yard and I didn't have to remove the entire dash to do it. I also have an 87 tercel 4wd wagon, and will be installing the inclinometer onto my dash soon. I'm going to do it by reaching up through the area where the climate control panel is. So all you have to do is remove the cover that surrounds the climate control panel, then unscrew the climate control and nudge it out of the way. You can then carefully drill the necessary holes through your dash and put the three nuts onto the inclinometer mounting studs by reaching through where you climate control was.

As far as wiring goes, the 87 does not have a connector in the harness for the inclinometer (because the 87 never came with an inclinometer). You can however get the signals you need from the right-hand side connector that plugs into your guage cluster. It's pretty easy to remove your gauge cluster. You just have to splice into the wire that provides the 4wd signal as well as the back-light wire (and gnds). If you wait a couple weeks until I do mine, then I can tell you exactly which wires to splice into. Until then, I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Nick
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

You can also just take the glovebox out and reach in through there, at least if you have skinny arms like me. You only need to do this to get the nuts on. You can splice into the 4WD and gauge light connections just by cutting the wires and wedging them into the connector that plugs into the lights on the meter hood, but I'd recommend getting both sides of the inclinometer connector, and properly splicing wires into the harness. If you want more detailed info, I can provide it, I'd just have to take my meter hood off and make up a diagram.
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

OK, I finally hooked mine up last night. I drew what I did on the electrical schematics for the car and also made some notes. I will scan in the schematics and write up some notes when I get a chance, and will post them up here. It looks really cool BTW, gotta love the inclinometer at night.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS