New Member. A tranny for my new Turdcel?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
drege
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Hadatercel

Re: New Member. A tranny for my new Turdcel?

Post by drege »

Ops, didn't read the whole thread.
I was gonna post this.
drege wrote:I got a few sitting on my shed floor that goddolovem gave me, but I'm under the impression that they are 87/88 witch I don't think will work for your 83.
Also got a bucket of parts from one that had been torn up by the case running low on oil (also from goddolovem)
berrings should be easy, hell I might one day turn my terc into a toad . . .
Livin the dream sounds like.
If your slabbin it, ups to you! great car for the desert out there!
It takes more fossil fuel resources to produce new vehicles than it would take to maintain and fuel any 70's or 80's vehicle for a million miles.
TERDCEL
My tercel:: 1983

Post by TERDCEL »

Thee discussion on synthetics in terc's was interesting. Mixed bag results. The transmissions on these are precious, so I'll be prudent and perhaps try what is already in there for period and then dump it to see what comes out and go from there. Going with a 4 to 1 blend, only 25% synthetic , a recommendation from a tranny man, seem like a wise approach, a good compromise. There could be a reason for such a recommendation, so I could sleep at night with that mix. Like you-all are saying, it's probably not the trans, thank goodness. I usually will assume the worst, so that I way, I will not be disappointed. I'll check all four wheel bearings. Good idea. Perhaps I did after all, stumble onto a good deal. And I do like the heavy duty roof rack and custom hood scoop for the weber. And it's color of brown. Stealthy in the woods too. And it tends to hide the rusty spots!
TERDCEL

Post by TERDCEL »

Hi Dreg

Will hafta see if I'm gonna like this life. I've been a homebody for years now, but I've got to give it a try. I'm gonna be on a tight budget. The reason I need 4WD is cause I'll be in Montana for part of the winter, and perhaps indefinitely at some point. Might find a place to settle down again. If living on BLM or USFS lands for free, up here where they do not bother you much, one could find themselves snowed in on occasion. And if you plant yourself on private land for the winter as a caretaker, or for nearly free space rent, it will likely be in an area where it is seldom plowed. Anywhere one may end up, these tercs are a very practical rig, and perhaps a better choice for a toad than say a Suzuki.

With the heavy duty roof rack that this thing has got, it can be loaded up heavy with spare gear and fuel. I see one fellow with a huge boat on top. This gives me some ideas!
TERDCEL

Post by TERDCEL »

Heck, I think I might strap a 20 gallon metal water tank on the rack, so that water can be brought to the motorhome and gravity fed into the coach's water tank.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
TERDCEL

Post by TERDCEL »

Thanks again! This is something I should not try at home.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I typically run 25 percent synthetic with good results. not as costly, and gives extra protection over the straight gear oil. I have run 100 percent syntheic, made the syncro act worn out (gear clashing on every shift), and it leaked out all of the seals. changed to 50/50 and had no issues, but dropped that to 25% to save money, also added a seal conditioner to soften the old seals and slow any seal seepage. So far so good, I check the level once a year and always at the fill up hole.

You might try the ATF flush: drain gear oil, fill with 50/50 mix cheap gear oil and ATF and drive it for several days (not too hard), but get it up to highway speeds for an hour or more. than drain it out and refill with high quality gear oil (or the syn/gear oil blend). It cleans out the old sluge and the gunk from the moving parts and often will improve shifting. Extra work, but if you have a worn trans, it sometimes helps to give the flush.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
TERDCEL

Post by TERDCEL »

Might just hafta try that. Anything one can do to extend the life of the trans. I hope to have this little gem for many years. Breezed thorough the on-line manual after I downloaded it. The book calls for GL-4 or GL-5, and the diff must have a hypoid oil of course. If I can go as high as 50/50, I perhaps I should give that a try. The previous owner says it has 100% in there now, and I noticed no issues with shifting, but will check for leaks now that you mentioned that problem. I'd rather not have Royal Purple in there after what I saw and experienced in another Toyota trans of the same vintage. Perhaps I can save part of it and mix it with a GL-5 gear oil. I have heard from a serious differential shop, that a blend of synthetic and standard gear oils is a health balance that protects, and lowers high operating temperatures (fiction is reduced). The properties of a hypoid gear oil are needed.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

most of the gear oil sold as synthetic is a blend, it is says synthetic in bold letter and "blend" in small dark letters, it costs much less and many just get it because it is so much less costly that straight synthetic (royal purple was $17 a qt. as I recall, blend was about $9, and cheap gear oil was $5 a qt). So you might have a blend, I prefer to make my own blend that way I know what went into it. Blends work well in my experiance, pure Royal Purple does not.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
TERDCEL

Post by TERDCEL »

It's good to get a confirming opinion. I'll make a blend using the Royal Purple that comes outta the trans.
snephi11
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel SR5 manual(duh)

Post by snephi11 »

Hello! I believe I am experiencing a bad front left wheel bearing as well! I think I will try and do the breakdown and handit off to a machinist for pressing. My question: is there a "better bearing", one proven to last longer?
snephi11
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel SR5 manual(duh)

Post by snephi11 »

why I assume me front left? A gradually increasing humm from the front-left that changes in pitch with an increase or decrease in speed. Also, when turning right on 90degree turns at speed, the humm goes away, but immediately returns when the wheel straitens out.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

usually if the left bearing is bad the noise will increase when turning right and visaversa
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.