Front wheel bearing size

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Front wheel bearing size wtf

Post by xirdneh »

could you measure the thickness of that good bearing at the outside of the inner races (bearing assembled)
i am curious if it comes out to 1.29
i'm thinking someone missread the dimensions and built a batch wrong making the outer race 1.29, they could be suppling many mfr'ers
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
mtc1984
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel

Post by mtc1984 »

inner race width of the usa national is 1.29, outside race width is 1.22. bearing i originally removed is the same
pordog65
My tercel:: 87 t2 87 t4

Post by pordog65 »

Hi ..
I drove my 87 today with its hi idle

But at 35 mph it started a low humm noise
The dash started to vibrate at the same time

I pushed the clutch in ..still there
Put it in neutral let it coast...
Till it got below 35
Then it was gone

It seams like a bearing on the front wheel to me

??? Yes ..no..?
The CV ales ur visible lay good
There is a little slop were the CV goes into trany
I have a T2 I could get under it an check for compareison
As to the slop
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i agree it sounds like a wheel bearing, pordog65. bad cv axles tend to click or clunk, especially on turning, or make a clunk on starting from a stop and/or shifting gears.

it can be tough to tell which wheel bearing it is but to confirm it's not one of the rears, you can put the rear seats down and have someone drive at 35 mph while you put your head to either side in the back. if it's back there, you'll be able to clearly hear it. much harder to do that up front though.
pordog65

Post by pordog65 »

Hi
I'm in this situation now
Just want to confirm
I will need a 1.22. ????
Thanks
pordog65

Post by pordog65 »

I jacked it up
Put it in gear then walked around to listen inside each wheel house
Its the pass shell is making noise
Now I have to figure out how to tell the parts house
Napa or ?? Why the 1.29 is not going to fit
Should I pull mine apart first an measure it
May bee his was a fluke
pordog65

Post by pordog65 »

How much should this bearing cost ?
Thankz yall
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Bearing is usually about $40 for the front wheel bearing set (there is an inner and outter bearing), you will also need a new inner and outer seal. should be about $60 -70 all together. IT was when I bought them a few years ago, Rockauto.com would be your cheapest bet. Veryify that it is indeed the bearing before you buy any parts, jack the car up, pull the wheel and rotate the hub by hand and feel the bearing. should be smooth, no noticable play when you push and pull on the flange in the steering knuckle.

BTW, usually when a wheel bearing it going out it will change noise when you steer slightly to the left or right. Usually if you turn left and it gets louder it would be the right bearing. I just replaced by left front wheel bearing that was all sloppy and crunchy, but it only made noise when I turned to the left, when that wheel was unweighted. It was actually hard to tell which side it was coming from, so I replaced the right side cv axle because it was a bit worn first some months ago, but the wheel bearing looked and felt good so I left it. The left side had excess play, so I finally got it replaced yesterday and solved the problem.

The point is, you can not always tell which one is making the noise until to get it all apart and spin the bearing by hand and feel how smooth it runs and if there is any play or slop in the bearing.

BTW, I got the hub assembly from a local pick and pull with good bearings and seals already in it, about $25 on a half off day as I recall. so it only took about an hour to just swap out the steering knuckle assembly with the good used bearing in it. It was faster and cheaper than buying new bearings. And way cheaper if you pay someone else to press out the bearing and install the new one. I have done it before, but just swapping out the steering knuckle hub assembly is much easier.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

getting another steering knuckle hub like Petros says is the easy way
second easiest is to remove old bearing from hub yourself and take it to machine shop to have new bearing and seals installed (35.00 last time i did it plus bearing from rockauto.com for around 35.00-40.00 shipping included)
or do the whole thing yourself using "Repair Guides" and there is a youtube video too
pordog65

Post by pordog65 »

Thanks
I'm striping t2 an using its parts for now
T2 has broken windshield bad suspension an bad mpg 26..not to mention the seat
Sr5 is way nicer
tercle
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5

Post by tercle »

The 85 service manual shows two types of front bearing. The KOYO type is three pieces, and the NGK type is one piece.
Sounds like Petros is describing the KOYO type and the pictures and video show the NGK type.
Which type is better to work with if you don't have a press?
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Front wheel bearing size

Post by xirdneh »

The only bearings I have seen are three pieces (main body double race and inner and outer race) with two ball bearing rings (balls embedded in plastic rings).
tercle
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5

Re: Front wheel bearing size

Post by tercle »

Thanks. I gotta get some headphones or speakers and watch that video again (laptop speakers ng)

But now I think it's the right rear.
Had someone ride in back and listen.