Hello and I just stripped my carb bolt

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
geobond
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5

Hello and I just stripped my carb bolt

Post by geobond »

Hi there! Supper excited about my first 4wd Tercel. Mine has 330k miles and I was going to redo the carb since the original owner says it had new been done and the float level was way high, causing poor gas mileage. It also was very hard to start on cold mornings. Anyhow, I was taking off the carb nuts and I stripped the nut on on the drivers side front bolt. Things were going so well before then. Wondering if I can back out the bolt or if there is some other trick to help me out. Can't wait to get the carb off so I can rebuild it and hope she runs a bit better.

Cheers,

George
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Hello and I just stripped my carb bolt

Post by dlb »

hmmm. i would lube the nut and stud with penetrating oil, then tap a slightly smaller socket over the stripped nut. there is a definite art to removing old, seized, or rusty nuts and bolts. i find penetrating oil and a moderate tap with my palm on a ratchet or wrench until the stubborn thing gives is all i usually need. sometimes using the same technique but tightening first also works. the worst thing you can do is put full force on it right away, that will strip or shear a nut or bolt pretty quick.

the carb mounting studs just thread into the intake manifold, and can be easily replaced.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

those are 12mm nuts, how did you strip it? did you use a 1/2" socket on it? If so try a six point 12 mm socket. soaking in penetrating oil might help. put a file on the flats you can reach and clean up the damaged corners as much as practical first.

I have never had more than nominal resistance getting those nuts off, I do not know how you managed to strip a nut.

using a chisel to tap the nut around as noted above should work. If it does not, just cut it off with a hack saw, or recip. saw with a metal cutting blade. once you get the carb off you can remove the old stud with vise-grips and get a replacement at an auto parts store for about $1.00.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
geobond
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5

Post by geobond »

Yea, so I started unscrewing the nut the wrong way....was purposely not using too much force but ended up
stripping the nut and/or bolt threads, not the nut itself. sorry for any confusion. I am stoked that the replacement bolts are easy to replace... Thanks for all the feedback!! Really appreciate it. Any advice for getting a stripped threaded nut off???

Cheers,

George
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

oh so the nut is spinning on the stud but not moving up or down? if that's it, i would use a die grinder and cut it off. cover the carb throat though, you don't want metal flakes getting in there.
SinusoidalTendencies
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 87 4wd wagon

Post by SinusoidalTendencies »

So I can't find m8 studs at autozone or oriellys that are 8 on both ends. They also have no way of looking for them without a part number. Don't know what the world is coming to when you can't look up a part by it's specs.
I don't always learn my lesson.
But when i do, it's the hard way.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

those should be a farily common generic part. it is used all over the engine. you can go to a wrecking yard and pull one yourself. they make these neat stud pullers, they are a device that grips the stud so you can unscrew it. I have always found that putting two nuts on them and tighten them together always seems to grip it good enough to extract the stud. easy peasy.

But really, I can not believe they can not just match it. do you have the damaged one out of the manifold? if so, take that to them to match.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
slimdude85
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel

Post by slimdude85 »

SinusoidalTendencies wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:28 pm So I can't find m8 studs at autozone or oriellys that are 8 on both ends. They also have no way of looking for them without a part number. Don't know what the world is coming to when you can't look up a part by it's specs.
I used to work for the O’Reilly just a few miles from the Mothership and I can tell you that they can look it up. They either are too lazy to grab a dusty binder (they have about 30 to choose from) or don’t realize the wealth of information that is printed in those catalogs. That being said, I’ve included a screenshot of the section of the Dorman (line code DOR) catalog that has specs and part numbers. Unfortunately, the people most likely to actually look in the books are kept in the back to work with shops. I was one of the few who would not only crack one of those bad boys open, but keep them updated and store the old catalogs somewhere else (you never know when you might have to look something up for a 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk.) Up front are typically the ones who are “owed” a job and have the motivation of a slug or are retired and just doing something worthwhile to pass the time. Good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; For the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:25-26

I have learned to kiss the wave that slams me into the Rock of Ages. -C.H. Spurgeon
SinusoidalTendencies
Top Notch Member

For my own crux just one stud nut was spinning free no up or down. Tried another nut on top of it and if would just loosen up and spin there under the top nut. After much failure I tried filing a line in it with a tiny file i had for a screwdriver. But after a good while I was starting to fetch blister on my finger. So I did the final draw. I Hit it with a hammer.... and a punch of course to wedge the nut into the stud, and it worked.

This of course was when I discovered oriellys didn't have what I needed.
Luckily I have a bike on the back, so I ride to autozone. Same story.
Tried one more off-road parts store and Nada.

Ace was the place.
But about 15 bucks for 4 studs & nuts
M8 & 1.25t by 1.75"

Still think I haven't quite solved my vac leak though. Might start a thread if I don't figure it out soon. Giving me trouble with timing & idle mixture adjustments with all the idle searching.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

One possible vacuum leak source is the pcv spacer under the carb. I've had the pcv pipe molded in to the spacer loosen up.
SinusoidalTendencies
Top Notch Member

Just realize inconsistent psi in fuel delivery could be a possibility to that would cause searching