Removing the brake bias control module for 50/50 braking

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Removing the brake bias control module for 50/50 braking

Post by SynthDesign »

So I work on a lot of old Toyotas and this is a new one for me. I had a friend ask if I could help remove the brake bias selector controler on his 86 AW11 MR2 for a 50/50 distribution. The issue is with the ability to easily lock up the front wheels and not have much engagement of the rears. With the Tercel we have an ever greater issue. He sent me this link.
http://www.mk15.ca/MJK_iPage_Website/MK ... /Frunk.htm Scroll all the way down to the bottom.
I'd post a the pic but I can't resizes it to load it from my phone.

Anyone's thoughts?
I'm thinking about trying a setup on a vented rotor'd T4WD.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Re: Removing the brake bias control module for 50/50 braking

Post by The Professor »

I'll say this, you don't want the rear wheels to lock up first unless you know that you can control the car in an split second situation. Having the rears lock up first is an invitation to spin the car.

Most cars have an 80/20 split between the front and rear brakes. 70/30 is probably ideal from a performance standpoint, but 50/50 is sort of asking for trouble. It is less of a problem in a mid-engined car with close to a 50/50 weight distribution, but once you start braking that weight WILL transfer and your friend will probably start to lock the rears in the wet.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I thought tercels had 60/40?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

irowiki wrote:I thought tercels had 60/40?
Show me documentation (FSM, owner's manual), otherwise...

Think about how much a car weighs and the forces involved when you slam on your brakes in an emergency. There is a ton of weight transfer, hundreds of pounds shift from the rear of the car to the front.

Honestly, I am new to Tercels, but not to vehicle design or wrenching. The numbers I throw around are based on averages. Not every car has the same design intent, and some are designed to be inherently more sporty.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

50/50 brake bias, even in a performance built MR2 only for tack use, is a BIG mistake. you will never get optimum braking performance. in hard turns, with hard braking, you will never have 50/50 ratio required. It with change with tire size, tire brand, road condition, surface, weather (rain, front, oily surface, etc), brake pads, and driving style.

If he really wants to improve the brake performance to dial it in for his driving style, and the custom tire/wheel set up, he needs to install an adjustable proportioning valve. One that he can change as he drives it (on the center console). So he can change it with changing conditions.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

The swap itself only took me about six minutes. It took me another hour to bleed the system properly on the MR2. Initial feeling is identical to stock. It wasn't until I started pushing the car around a bit that I could feel the difference. I can still easily lock up the front wheels before the rear but there is a noticeable difference in initiation and body roll transfer. Right now it's been pretty cold out so I wonder how it will feel with hot tires. I agree with Petros about the adjustable bias selector being the BEST way to manage pressure but I wanted to see what happened. The car will be on the Track for the PIRtoyrun in December so we'll see how it compares to last years runs.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody