The Air Conditioning thread...

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: The Air Conditioning thread...

Post by xirdneh »

i have a good unit (not sure what it is called) that is under the dash between blower and heatercore housing
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: toyota

Post by JDNightFox »

Sorry to revive this but I just got my 86 back from Firestone for the 134a conversion and I'm pretty sure they installed the fittings wrong

He said he got the AC blowing cold for about 30 seconds and then "the expansion valve went out because the pressure kept surging"
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I also had Midas install the fittings backwards as well.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member

Post by JDNightFox »

irowiki wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:12 am I also had Midas install the fittings backwards as well.
I already bought a new expansion valve and drier but can I assume it was surging because of them trying to fill it through the high side? or would it be safer to just pull the box and change those parts so that I can also blow the dust out of the radiator inside too
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

diagnose the problem before you try and fix it. I do not see why that would cause the valve to fail, all you would do is not get enough refrigerant into the system. It might, but I do not see how, he should not be putting that much pressure into the system. OTOH, if it has been a while it may have been old and about to fail anyway. If that is what indeed is wrong with it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

When I converted mine to 134, it was being all funky so I ended up replacing the evaporator, expansion valve, and drier. Then replaced the compressor and it has worked great since!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member

Post by JDNightFox »

The guy said the system blew cold for about 30 seconds and then said the valve was making the pressure surge, told me everything else was working
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Does anyone know if this is the correct seal for our compressors? I have purchased the four Seasons seal kit through rock auto and it wasn't even close to fitting. Mine is definitely leaking from the front and would just like to know if this seal will fix it to get me through the 100+ degree everyday summer until I am able to afford another compressor. Thanks.

Screenshot_2017-06-27-15-22-28.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

Bump. Now the 230 dollar reman compressor I installed blew the front seal out too. I don't think it's under warranty anymore either. :/
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 4x4 Automatic - restored

Post by CathodeRayTube »

Mine is still apart and i dont have a functioning Tercel presently...the A/C in the automatic that i rebuilt the compressor in, blew out the generic Large Chinese O rings i used on the compressor body within 1 trip.. the brakes need to be redone also and why it was parked. but i think the front seal is probably still good, i had replaced it during the rebuild. It looks like the one Bailey Pictured. I remember you must be very careful installing it, as not to gouge anything or its easy to ruin it and have it leak again...Using Propane here, with good results in the entire rest of the Mothball fleet, especially the Fords, which blow 20 degrees and will freeze you out.. straight propane is more like R22 but backwards compatible, 60% Propane 40% ISOButane approximates R12 closer and is whats in the Yugo. Planning to rebuild everything eventually, but for now the Nissan Stanza Wagon and my E350 diesel are my main vehicles and the 3 Tercels are sitting on the back burner. To rebuild the compressor again, i was going to take the original seals that i still have, and dunk them in gasket shellac or possibly use RTV and see if those hold up...otherwise i may be retrofitting another compressor from something else, or possibly even an electric sealed unit from a household window AC being driven off an Inverter. Parts for these compressors were hard to find...but i still have one or 2 untouched ones i could try with other tricks like Leak Stopper.
86 T4 DX 4x4 - Diesel Swap project
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
85 F250 dually 6.9 turbo diesel
81 VW Rabbit Turbo diesel project
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

FYI also, Most of these compressors, swash-plate and piston designs can ingest some liquid refrigerant without issue. Scroll compressors i think are more sensitive.
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

Got lucky. My compressor was under warranty and I was able to get another reman from rock auto. Threw that and a new evaporator core in as well.

Now the issue is that it runs, quite well, then after shut down, it sounds like the clutch is chattering or still trying to grab? I ran the ac, shut it off and quickly went to the front of the car to see the compressor stopped, but the clutch was moving slowly, then stopped after a bit. Doesn't sound too bad, but it does not sound normal either.

Is there some adjustments I could make to the clutch or just let it ride out and hope that the noise goes away? Thanks.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

Id say the clutch moving is normal...its like a regular clutch in anything else there may be some trivial contact/friction going on, especially if its new and not worn in yet. the A/C system in the T4 i believe has a controller that shuts the compressor off at 2 different temps...a lower one for ON and a slightly higher one for ECO mode.. both modes cycle the compressor on and off...which is a superior system to my Mercury in that the compressor doesnt run all the time and you dont turn the heat up to compensate...manual a/c.. the T4 has smaller condensers/evaps, so its more sensitive to having the correct (most effective) Freon in it...id start with a fully cleaned/purged system, pump mineral spirits through the system to flush everything out.. blow air though it, pull vacuum on it, make sure the oil is the prescribed type and amount...new compressors are supposed to have oil in them and it usually stays there but some can circulate around with the freon. Id recommend staying away from 134a...it will never be right or as effective as R12 or a HC replacement as the system wasnt designed to work with it. 134a uses higher pressures and uses special oils. iv heard 134a also causes testicular cancer...
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+