Carb-Installation

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Who has an opinion about useing silicone-sealant(high heat copperseal) on the base-area when you install a Carb,wouldnt it be good Vacume-Leak prevention? Any Takers...How Bowt you,Twentyvalve,havent herd from you in awile.Also G-Fumes,what suspension mods have you done?Anything to give-alittle-lift(Carful-now,Tercel Abuse,Like blowing-out the radiator with a fire-hose,is illeagal in some states!)? :D
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

I've never had any problem when using silicone gasket makers in the past. Although I must admit that I used new toyota gaskets when I replaced the carb on my 3AC.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I used to use it alot when I was too cheap to get gaskets or gasket material. It doesn't work nearly as well for the carb as a paper gasket does. In fact it has never worked that well for me.
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

I used a superthin layer of it on the new gasket whaen I reinstalled my carb. I am a big believer that a light appliance of sealer on most gasket surfaces is a good thing.
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Would silcone hurt paper-gaskets if you used both,like they often recomend for ruber-gaskets.My thinking is that it would be nice to have resilaint-presure against the bolts and potentialy large Vacume-Leak area.I guess I could at least put lock-washers with the paper-gasket. <_<
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Thereminator wrote: Also G-Fumes,what suspension mods have you done?Anything to give-alittle-lift(Carful-now,Tercel Abuse,Like blowing-out the radiator with a fire-hose,is illeagal in some states!)? :D
But Tercels love abuse! They just laugh and ask for more! :D

What should be illegal is donating a perfect '86 SR5 to a fire dept. :angry:
But then it wouldn't have been $25, so...

My friend and I haven't done any suspension mods yet. We did remove the front anti-roll bar for more articulation, but anybody familiar with the front suspension design will know why we put it back on really fast. :) We plan to cut it in half and put a tight-fitting pipe over it to allow it to provide support for the control arms without limiting suspension movement. We've had a few ideas for lifting it, but haven't gotten around to starting any work.

I was actually over at my friend's house today looking at Hornbeam. We need to get that engine back in. :D
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

I installed my carb today.It Fired-right-up and the aceleration and power where better but I have one problem,it idles like crap :( .Its idleing at 11.5 and jumping around about 100 rpm.I tried the Throttle adjustment but the rpms wouldnt drop and I realized today that unlike my other carb,this one has an idle-valve.I fooled around with it,but it didnt seem to do much to the rpm.Im going to read-up tonight and check for V~Leaks tomorow. <_<