Horn problem

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
kitchman
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 2wd tercel hatch back ,1986 SR5

Horn problem

Post by kitchman »

Greeting,
Finally was able to purchase a 1986 SR5 wagon and it is really sweet!
Has a few issues that need to be addressed. The horn rarely works and I believe the contact beneath the steering wheel horn pad is at fault. Looking for some guidance on how to remove the pad to get at the contacts. Also need two male ends for the front driver's and passenger's seat belts, the ends of the belt which prevent the buckle from sliding down are broken off. Also need a right rear speaker. Regarding the seat belt color, not sure, it is either dark gray or black, the seats are blue and beige and the head liner and plastic inside trim panels are Ivory. Putting this info out there in hopes that some one knows what the belt color should be from the factory. Also both driver's and passenger's window regulators need to be replaced or greased, they are a bear to close the last 4 inches. Would like to include photos of the car but sure how to do so.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Horn problem

Post by dlb »

nice score, i love those two tone paint schemes.

removing the horn pad is easy but varies slightly between models. on some the pad simply pops off with a strong tug, others have a few screws on the backside that must be removed first. you might also check the connection where the wiring harness plugs into the horn. it is found behind the driver side headlight, IIRC. if the contacts are corroded, scrape them clean and spray them with electrical cleaner. even PB blaster has worked well for me for cleaning contacts.

i think you will have a hard time finding front seat belts that are not similarly damaged to yours. all 6 tercels i've owned had the same problem. someone once posted something on here about using a velcro strap or something similar to keep the male end from falling all the way down every time it's unbuckled.

for the stiff windows, use silicone spray to lube the rubber channels that the windows slide up and down in. i sometimes find that really stiff windows require multiple treatments of this over several days. another thing to do is remove the door panels (only takes 5 mins for each door) and spray white lithium grease on all the moving metal contact points. i have freed up totally stuck windows with just those two things, so amazing. beats having to replace the regulators, too.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Looks good! How many miles are on it?

The seat belt prob: See https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... +seat+belt+ and scroll down a bit for my fix and then more elegant recommendations by Petros and rer233.

What dlb wrote on the window channels - I clean them with denatured alcohol and Q-tips before the lube - I use dry-type silicone spray.

Horn notes - see (which has a few other good links in it in a post by garyfish): https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... hilit=horn Scroll down a ways in the post.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
kitchman
Top Notch Member

Post by kitchman »

Thank you both for your replies and valuable information!
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

BrownBadger
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD Tercel SR5 - The Brown Badger

Post by BrownBadger »

I saw that Tercel on eBay. I think you got a killer deal. I'd have bought it if it were on the west coast for sure. (Assuming it is the same car - looks like it though.)
kitchman
Top Notch Member

Post by kitchman »

Yes, thank you, that is the one. I went down to Virginia from NY to get her. Very happy with her.
Found a really cost effective fix for the seat belt problem on Ebay, there are several options, though went with the one below
.http://www.ebay.com/itm/331312574167?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.