Auto choke removal

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
pantah
My tercel:: 84 4wd

Auto choke removal

Post by pantah »

Still battling choke issues. Maybe don't need it at all. I live where the year around temps are usually 65 to 75 degrees (Latin America). My motorcycles don't need the choke at all here.

*The choke isn't getting 12v. Checked ohms per manual and around 22. Choke not moving at all.

*checked fuses, all OK

*motor revs OK cold and warm. Starts OK

*float bowl level, accel pump, and power valve all ok, after pulling the top of carb.

*opening the choke from mostly closed position stalls warm engine.

*checked for vacuum leaks using vacuum pump, etc. Diaphragms and lines all OK it seems (so many it's possible to miss something, therefore

since where I live doesn't have smog checks. What and how can I disconnect all extraneous stuff that operates on vacuum, and make life generally less complicated?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Auto choke removal

Post by dlb »

i'm not clear on what is happening. are you saying the choke is not getting 12V and thus not opening, but when you do open it manually after the engine is warm, the engine stalls?

if that's the case, i'd say you have at least two problems. first, i would unplug the carb electrical harness and confirm that the terminal on the car-end of the plug has 12V. if it does, the choke is hooped. replace it, if you can (some choke housings use screws, others use rivets). if the car end of the plug does NOT have 12V, the problem is upstream. start looking.

dying on open choke when warm sounds like a big vacuum leak, not likely from even a bunch of hoses. i've never used a vacuum pump before but i would look more for vacuum leaks because that's what it sounds like to me. i would try plugging the HIC, making sure the nuts on the carb base are snug, making sure the intake manifold bolts are all snug, and check the intake manifold for cracks.