Choke coil housing - how to remove

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
pantah
My tercel:: 84 4wd

Choke coil housing - how to remove

Post by pantah »

My 84 tercel Aisin carb has what looks like rivets on the coil housing. How to get it off the carb?

Also, weird symptom. Engine is warm, choke butterfly is partially open. When I open it all the way by hand, engine stalls!!

Probably not related. I discovered my power valve was stuck. Engine started, idled and revved ok, but big time reduction in power under load.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Choke coil housing - how to remove

Post by Petros »

that behavior is typical of a vacuum leak, it stall out becasue it gets too lean when you open it all the way.

the choke should not have to be adjusted, it usually works or it fails and has to be replaced. to service it you have to drill out the rivets (easy to do), and to reassemble you intall some screws with nuts and washers.

Use the FSM to run through the fuel system/carburetor cold start system checks and trouble shooting section. once you have determined everything else is working properly, only than I would drill it out.

Always diagonose the problem first, before you try and fix it! it saves time and money.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)