Back Right Brake Locking Up

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Mr. Mad Ox
My tercel:: '86 SR5 Wagon

Back Right Brake Locking Up

Post by Mr. Mad Ox »

Been awhile since I've been on here- been enjoying the tercel. Until my parking brake went wonky, that is. It started just not disengaging in the morning but now it's engaging while I'm trying to drive around. I've PB Blasted the cables really good a few times now but I still can't leave the parking lot without it locking up. I'll be trying to leave and I can usually back out but then when I get going forward for a few seconds it goes thud squeeeeeeeak so I jiggle the P Brake and it frees up and I go a few more yards and thud squeeeeak. It's basically rinse and repeat until I can get back to my parking spot. It's only on the back right though. So I figured I'd try to take the drum off and see what's going on but it turns out I couldn't get it off because (I think) it was locked up. I also don't have a brake spoon or skinny enough screw drivers to back off the adjuster. My next step is acquiring a brake spoon but I figured in the meantime I'd go ahead and ask if this has happened to anyone before. So, has this happened to anyone before?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Back Right Brake Locking Up

Post by dlb »

this was covered recently in another thread. the discussion about how to remove stubborn drums starts on the second page.

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10226&start=15

i have found that once park brake cables start to seize up, there is no hope of resurrecting it. they might last a few months but that's about it. they're cheap and easy enough to replace anyway.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Back Right Brake Locking Up

Post by Petros »

someone did have this happen, do not remember who. the fix was a new parking brake cable (the rear part with the sleeve). I think they bought the replacement from Rockauto or partsgeek or something on line, it was cheap.

sometimes if you beat on the brake drum with a block of wood or soft mallot you can get it to vibrat enough so it backs off. a normal screw driver small enough to fit in the slot is all you need to get to the adjuster.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)