First Gen parts I need

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

First Gen parts I need

Post by irowiki »

No junkyard within reasonable distance of Farmington has anything from the 80's. I'm constantly watching ebay but these sort of parts rarely show up!

So if any of you notice a 80-82 Tercel and the inside looks good, I need the following, in order of importance:

MCV (mixture control valve)
fuel filter clip (may match with the second gen's)
Steering wheel center cover (tan)
Manual 5 speed shifter knob (mine is not stock)
Tan Dashboard pad in good shape
tan ash tray
tan glove box (bonus if the piece is intact that only allows it to open 90 degrees)
Driver/passenger front/rear door panels in excellent shape (from a Tan 4 door sedan)
plastic trim from above windshield that holds headliner in
plastic trim above the front seatbelts (will give a picture later)

I'll reimburse for the part, your time, and the shipping via check or paypal (unless it is crazy expensive/good then I can pay over the phone!). Mind you I don't want anyone going out of their way but if you happen to see a 1st gen Tercel and aren't pressed for time...
Last edited by irowiki on Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: If you happen by a pick and pull (My list of parts I nee

Post by Petros »

I have some extra '83-87 Tercel sun visors, they might be the same as yours. here is a picture of the 2nd gen (and same year corolla) sunvisor. You are welcome to them if you can use them;

'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I actually got a set of second gen sun visors from someone on the forum and they don't quite fit properly. Thanks for the offer though!

The metal rod bolts on just fine, but the angle is all funky! I haven't had a chance to play with it some more. It might need bent :shock:

There is no clip on mine either.

Is the angle on the Corolla visor different?

I also found out that seatbelts are different from 1st -> 2nd gen but mostly work, the rear view mirror mount matches, the inside door handle does not.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

looks like they have one at the local pullapart here, next time I go I will look for you:

irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Wow, awesome! I wish we had junkyards like that, that had pictures of the cars.

I see it still has the antenna too, is tan inside, and the seats even look decent /jealous

I'm updating the list as the wife thinks of stuff, if it had AC and an automatic she'd probably steal it for herself as she quite likes the car :lol:

Also I only listed inside parts for now, I figured engine parts will mostly be taken care of by the stuff I'm getting from Petros soon, but if the TVSV is in one piece you might want to grab it :p

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Vienna
Advanced Member

Post by Vienna »

I "The wife" found a "local" (7 hour drive) scapper that's a little brother to our car. Hopefully it has a decent interior,

http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/JT2AL21EXC3381109
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

How long do they usually keep the cars? I assume parts are first come first serve too.

How do they work prices?

Okay, prices: http://www.utahpullnsave.com/pricing/

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

they replace the whole row of cars after they have been in the yard two to three months. It varies, hard to know how long it will be there, it has nothing to do with what is left on the cars, once their "time is up", it is crusher time. it is a pisser too, I was going to pull the 4wd trans from one, and the day I went to get it, they had it lined up for crushing. I went and begged the manager to allow me to save the trans, he said there was nothing he could do about it, the row was cleared and it is in line for scrap now. What a wast.
Vienna
Advanced Member

Post by Vienna »

There's actually an 87 4wd wagon at the same place we'll be going to visit. If anyone wants something that we may be able to pick up and ship I'm sure irowiki wouldn't mind us grabbing something if you can pay us back or the part and shipping, time permitting since we aren't sure how long dismantling the sedan will take us.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i just want to mention how cute it is to have a husband and wife pair on the forum, taking such cares for an old car. it's very cool.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

If the composite headlights from the '87 Tecel4wd, and the side marker lights that go with them are good, get them. those are hard to find, if no one else needs them I will take them, spares for these kinds of lights are nice to have. If anyone wants to convert an older seal beam headlight Tercel4wd to these composite type than they will also need the center grill to go with it.
Vienna
Advanced Member

Post by Vienna »

dlb wrote:i just want to mention how cute it is to have a husband and wife pair on the forum, taking such cares for an old car. it's very cool.
I was actually the one who told him to get it. I'm from Canada and just recently immigrated here to New Mexico and Paul began looking for a "crap car" for his commute to work so he could leave me with our Buick Regal. I found the tercel on ebay and told him to bid on it (at the time it was like 600$) which was a decent deal compared to all other options. By the time it was about to end someone had out bid him and he told me he didn't want to go over 700, the current bid, and I twisted his arm to get it. So I'm the guilty party in getting him in this tercel craze! I thought it would be cute to have a car older than us, and I've always had good luck with the toyota brand, even in the rusty land of Nova Scotia.
Petros wrote:If the composite headlights from the '87 Tecel4wd, and the side marker lights that go with them are good, get them. those are hard to find, if no one else needs them I will take them, spares for these kinds of lights are nice to have. If anyone wants to convert an older seal beam headlight Tercel4wd to these composite type than they will also need the center grill to go with it.
Alrighty, adding it to our list. Unfortunately there's no image on the site yet for it so I have no idea what condition they're in, but it can't hurt to check it out.

I assume if even 1 of the 2 lights are in unbroken/working order we should grab the good one? Since it can always be paired with another eventual mate that may surface.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

nova scotia to new mexico is quite the change! do you miss the grim east coast winters? i'm on vancouver island, at the opposite end of the spectrum.

i think xirdneh is still looking for a left headlight and trim from an '87. he posted this a month ago.

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9109
Vienna
Advanced Member

Post by Vienna »

New Mexico is way too dry for my liking. I've spent all my life living withing viewing distance of the ocean and having a high humidity, and now we're lucky if it passes 20% humidity and the precipitation for this year still read "zero inches". Admittedly though, my family back home are complaining they haven't seen the sun since march because they've been having non stop rain back there, so I'd probably be complaining about the weather if I were still there too!

But as someone who grew up always being able to walk to a fishing warf or finding a river to go trouting, the charge is quite a culture shock.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

yes, if any of the headlights, or side marker lights are good, even just one side marker light, is good. get it. any cracks or damage, leave it.